Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

Unread 09-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

I had my pre-op today with the gyn and also at the hospital, both of which went well. I had many questions answered and am feeling much more comfortable about the whole procedure. I know that others have written about having to do bowel preps on the day before surgery. Did this also include eating nothing but clear liquids on the day prior to surgery? I am just seeing next Wednesday as being a completely miserable day with no food, magnesium citrate, and two enemas. Also, are the rest of you being required to take two showers prior to surgery (with an antibacterial soap)? I'm just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

HI Lacynia,

I had to spend 2 days prior to my surgery having only clear fluids and my doctor said if I was prepared to do this I wouldn't need an enema which he thought would be much better on me.
As far as the showers with the antibacterial soap I didn't have to have them either I just had to take 4 antibiotic tablets the night before.
Each doctor is different and you just need to make sure to follow his instructions. Keeping busy helps to keep your mind of the lack of food!

Wishing you a speedy recovery........Karen
Unread 09-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

Hi Lacynia,

I'm scheduled for surgery on Wed (13 Sep), and I've received the exact pre-op instructions.

Lady Re
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

I too had a pre op today. I don't have to do a bowel prep. Just cant eat or drink for 12 hrs prior. Doc is going to give me antibiotics before I go into surgery. ~Anju
Unread 09-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

Hi I am scheduled to have a TAH/SBO on September 12th and no bowel prep either, just nothing to drink or eat after midnight. I am to admitted on the Sept 12th at 10:15am
Unread 09-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

my doc said i didnt have to do a bowel prep, but i could if i wanted to. i tend to get constipated because i'm on methadone (which is a narcotic). i just dont want any extra pain or problems trying to have a bm after surgery. i'll probably do clear liquids the day before and an enema before i leave for the hospital. also i've been taking 3 phillips stool softener capsules daily for over a week now. plus benefiber mixed w/ my coffee in the mornings, but i've been doing that for a long time.still, i get constipated anyway. someone suggested drinking 2 tablespoons of mineral oil for relief. it is sold where the laxatives are in store. i've never heard of that, but i might try it. any suggestions out there for me?? i would appreciate it alot.

thank you,
Stephanie
Unread 09-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

they gave me the bowel prep last week dr said to do it,on the morning of operation dont have to be at hospital till 10.30 so i can have my last coffee at 6.30 do the bowel prep then wait wait wait till 10.30 just wish it would hurry up and get here this waiting is terable
Unread 09-09-2006, 05:36 AM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

Hi Lacynia,

My surgery date is also on the 14th. My dr started me on an antibiotic that I began taking 2 days ago. I'm also not allowed to have anything but clear liquids from wednesday at noon. I also have to do an enema for bowel prep on wednesday. He didn't say anything about using antibacterial soap tho. Good luck to you....see you on the other side.
Unread 09-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

My instructions were to just have a liquid diet (Jello, Gatorade, apple juice, water, coffee (no cream), tea and broth) all day Sunday and then the enema at 6pm. Then, no eating or drinking after midnight. I report to the hospital at 5am Monday.
Unread 09-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Pre-op Fasting & Hygiene

Does anyone have a clue as to why some of us do have to have a bowel prep, and others don't? ~Anju

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register