RN having TAH, back to work????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

RN having TAH, back to work????? RN having TAH, back to work?????

Unread 03-28-2005, 01:06 PM
RN having TAH, back to work?????

Am wondering if there are any other RN's out there or anybody that just knows if I will be bale to return to work after six weeks if I am going to be on my feet for 12hours and bathing and pulling up and turning dead weight patients that could weigh 100-400lbs??

Just trying to get an idea of the reality of things to come.

Thanks in advance !!!

I love this site, very helpful and comforting with the wealth of knowledge out there !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2005, 01:22 PM

Hi. I am an LPN. I was told by my doc that I could come back 1/2 day to a desk only at 3 weeks and work my way up 2 hours each week after that at a desk. I am in anesthesia dept so she said I will have to wait 6 weeks to full duty and that would be with lifting at m y tolerance. Hope that helps some. Hard to be the nurse and the patient. Unlike a lot of jobs our patients are always there and with a shortage of us our bosses demand us back. Just don't push to hard and too soon. Enjoy being the patient for awhile and let the nurses pamper you before you go back to doing the pampering.

T
Unread 03-28-2005, 02:29 PM

You've read it before..... everyone is different.

However, I do not think you'll be able to do the patient-moving part of your job for several weeks past the 6 weeks. My doc said I should gradually get back to normal -- meaning that after the initial period of healing, I was to slowly get back to where I was doing what I did before.

Some ladies do really well, have little fatigue, and have no trouble getting back to work at six weeks. I stayed home six weeks and really should have stayed home for eight, and I have a desk job!

Time will tell. I do hope your recovery goes smoothly! Check with your doctor and go by his/her recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2005, 01:22 PM

I'm an RN too, but doing auditing work after my back surgery 2 years ago. I worked on PCU and had huge patients to try to move around too, and couldn't do it. I was on a 50 lb lifting restriction for 6 months post-op and received a lot of lip from my co-workers. (It even came up on an evaluation)

Be good to yourself and get a order from your doc for a lifting restriction while you're still healing inside and giving your abs more time to heal. You will not be 100% after 6 weeks.

Take care,

Rhonda
Unread 03-29-2005, 01:53 PM

Hello Rhonda,

I'm a RN that works in the NICU. I also work 12 hour shifts that at times turn into 13-14 hour shifts. I waited a complete 8 weeks with my first of work being 4hrs then to 6hrs then to the dreaded 12 that ended up being 13. I will tell you that I came home, showered, went to bed on my right side and woke up 8 hrs later in the some position!!!!! It kicked my butt! Before surgery on my pain free days it was never a problem.

So in short I'm saying I would take a complete 8 weeks and return part time the 1st week. And with you lifting much larger patient then myself I would think about 12 if you have the time or short term disability benefit. But everyone is different, this is just my opinion. If you decided to take longer then the 6weeks and catch h*** from family, friends, or co-worker just don't pay them any attention you know your body.

Good Luck,
Denise
this is just my opinion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register