Hemorrhage from fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hemorrhage from fibroids? Hemorrhage from fibroids?

Unread 02-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Hemorrhage from fibroids?

Hello,

I am new to this site I scheduled my hysterectomy for 2/24
due to fibroids. My last period I ended up in the emergency room due to hemorrhaging I needed a blood transfusion . I am wondering if anyone else has experienced that from fibroids . I think I am making the right decision on getting a partial hysterectomy but everyone I know is trying to convince me to go with the other options . I feel they are just
a temporary solution . My mothers side of the family every woman has had fibroids so I have a feeling they would grow back . Any feed back would be helpful to me since this has happened so fast .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen224
Hello,

I am new to this site I scheduled my hysterectomy for 2/24
due to fibroids. My last period I ended up in the emergency room due to hemorrhaging I needed a blood transfusion . I am wondering if anyone else has experienced that from fibroids . I think I am making the right decision on getting a partial hysterectomy but everyone I know is trying to convince me to go with the other options . I feel they are just
a temporary solution . My mothers side of the family every woman has had fibroids so I have a feeling they would grow back . Any feed back would be helpful to me since this has happened so fast .
I would say just read up on everything so that you don't have any regrets.

I had severe bleeding as well and was on iron pills for months. I trusted in what the doctor said to much. Especially when I was told my insurance wouldn't cover this treatment and that treatment and that those treatments were to expensive. I just wish I would have tried something else. I wish I would have had other options. Now that I have joined this site and looked up other information I see so many other options and treatments. Also keep in mind that their can be side effects to any treatment that you pick. I have found that some ladies have incontinence issues, some need additional surgeries and more after a hysterectomy.

I had a transfusion after the surgery. Everyone reacts differently post op. Some have certain symptoms and problems and others don't. The pain is the biggest problem for me followed by boredom and depression. I've reached the two week post op mark and physically I am a lot better, not much pain either.
Good luck and I will pray for you.
Unread 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM

Hi Kristen224 and

We’re happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense and experiences to share with you at every stage of your journey to good health!

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a favor and register to receive Hysterectomy Checkpoints. It’s one of the best features of the site, in my opinion -- designed to accompany you through the entire hysterectomy experience from start to finish, and beyond!

You can take the opportunity to prepare yourself for what’s ahead by reading the Pre-Op Articles. You might find the following particularly helpful:

Coping With Pre-Op Anxiety & Fear

What to Expect at the Hospital

What to Bring to the Hospital

How Others Can Help

Is Sex Afterwards Really The Same?

You might enjoy browsing through the stories in the Tell Your Hyst-Story section. The posts are sorted by the type of surgery that was performed so it's easy to find the stories that tell about the type of hysterectomy you are scheduled to have.

Through the years, hundreds of women have shared their personal suggestions in Hints from Members that you may also want to peruse.

My fibroids caused heavier-than-usual menstrual bleeding and although I never ended up in the ER because of it, I did become anemic.

I am sending many positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM

Hi Kristen,
Wow, you just let me see what could've happened to me if I hadn't got a hysterectomy when I did. (almost a year ago)

I had huge fibroids and had tried EVERYTHING I could find as an alternative solution--but it finally was getting so bad I was literally shooting out about a half cup of blood clots at a time during my last period.
I could barely get to the toilet in time, and was going to have to start missing work because of it.

Alot of women are against hysterectomies nowadays, but there are cases, like mine where nothing else will solve the problem.

If you've gotten at least 2 opinions from doctors you trust who seem to know what they're doing, and you don't feel the need to try some alternative first (or already have)----don't worry about it.

I wish you well with it all,
NOT an easy time in our lives.

June
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM

I also had profuse bleeding from fibroids and ended up in the ER one night. For about a year I tried various kinds of birth control pills, which would stop the bleeding for a couple of weeks. I had an SAH, kept the cervix and ovaries. Should've done this years ago! It truly was the right thing to do for me. I couldn't go anywhere without a bathroom neaby, couldn't lift much, or even walk up very many stairs. Life is SOOOO much better now!
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:30 PM

I never ended up in the hospital from my fibroids, but I did get scared when the bleeding wouldn't stop. I went through 24 sanitary napkins in 4 hours and I freaked out and went to my GYN immediately. He did a pelvic exam (messy!!!) and said he felt "something". He wasn't sure if it was fibroids or polyps. He gave me a package of BC pills to stop the current period. I had to take 4 pills a day for a week. Scary. The bleeding did stop and 4 days afterwards I had a transvaginal ultrasound and found the fibroids. I wasted no time with other options as the pain had become so severe every month that I was missing work and I had already had a tubal ligation done almost 6 years ago. I had my TAH done with RSO (had a history of surgery involving cysts on the right ovary, so since I had yet another cyst we took that also) 3 weeks after discovering the fibroids.

Life is better without the pain. Without the fibroids. And I didn't know until the pathology report at 1 week postop visit, but I also had endometriosis.

Good luck. If you decide for sure on a hyster, you've come to the right place for support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register