After 4 other procedures, UAE or go right to partial hysto? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

After 4 other procedures, UAE or go right to partial hysto? After 4 other procedures, UAE or go right to partial hysto?

Unread 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM
After 4 other procedures, UAE or go right to partial hysto?

Hello:

Over the past 3 years, I've had:
an abdominal myomectomy to remove lots and lots of fibroids,
followed by one IVF cycle (fail),
then 3 hysteroscopies to remove the submucosal fibroids,
followed by another IVF cycle (fail),
and am still suffering from a uterus full of additional fibroids leading to heavy, clotty periods, pelvic pressure and distension, and now in-between bleeding after trying Lysteda for 2 months to cut down on the actual period bleeding.

While I am 39 and have tried to get pregnant with and without assistance, at this point, carrying a baby is pretty much out of the question b/c my ob-gyn points out that there is probably more fibroid tissue than working uterus at this point to successfully support a baby.

The ob-gyn is suggesting UAE before a partial hysto but the IR says there are no guarantees it will work b/c of the severity of my case.

As a result, I'm debating whether to just push forward and request (or demand) a partial hysterectomy.

I feel like I've been through a multitude of procedures and don't know if I have the patience to suffer through another one that might not bring results, and then ultimately wind up having a partial hysterectomy in the long run anyway.

Anyone have a similar situation and if so, what did you decide?

At this point, I'm leaning towards "closing up shop" down there but feel that because of my age (and perhaps the miraculous possibility of conception?) my ob-gyn is hesitant to do to the hysterectomy.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Re: After 4 other procedures, UAE or go right to partial hysto?

Hi lago145

There are no guarantees with a hysterectomy, either. While it certainly would remove fibroids, it can also cause other complications. Most women seem to do well with the surgery, but those who don't take no comfort in that.

I also had fibroids. I had a myomectomy, and then two years later, when I developed a new one, I had to make a decision about what to do. Because my symptoms were interfering with my life on a daily basis, I decided that a hysterectomy had the best chance of giving me the long-term outcome I wanted. So far, so good.

It's important to be fully informed about all your options in light of your own medical condition. If your symptoms are bearable for now, it may be worth trying the UAE. If nothing else, it gives you more time to learn about hysterectomy and be prepared if and when that comes around. Also, if you do experience any complications with a hysterectomy, you will be assured that you truly tried everything possible instead of having to wonder "What if I had made a different choice?"

Have you gotten a second opinion, from another gynecologist? It might be worth hearing another point of view to help you decide what to do.

I'm sending big hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register