Does everyone get vaginal packing ?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does everyone get vaginal packing ?? Does everyone get vaginal packing ??

Unread 04-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Does everyone get vaginal packing ??

TAH and no packing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2008, 07:18 AM

Re the superbugs - I was swabbed for MRSA at my pre-op and again when admitted for surgery. This is a routine procedure at the hospital where I had my surgery. You might ask what your hospital is doing.
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the replies. I will be sure to ask my Doctor if she thinks I may need packing. I am just relieved that every hysterectomy does not get packed..so there is hope for me .
Freezy143 ~ I am glad to gave you a chuckle. I read this site and probably have one good belly laugh a day at something one of the sisters had wrote. Ya gotta laugh or you may cry.
Thanks to everyone who replied !!!!
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booo
I see that a few gals mention vaginal packing after the hysterectomy. Does everyone get this. Truly that sounds worse to me then the surgery. How the heck am I going to walk with that between my legs. I want to walk as soon as possible so I can get out of the hospital quickly. I am more scared of catching one of those superbugs while I am there. I have already purchased a travel size can of lysol that I have packed in my hospital bag.
I go to Dr in 2 weeks to set up surgery date but I am pretty positive it will be a TAH because of the size and location of my fibroids. I know she can not do it vaginal because she told me that last year that my uterus was too big.
Thanks for any help.

Hi , I Had TVH and yes I had Packing , I think it depends on what type of surgery is preformed. Ask as many questions during your post-op appt, so you will have less surprises post-op. Best Wishes
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:47 PM

Boo,

You are so right! We really do need to laugh more.
Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM

I had packing, but the doctor told me it was because of my posterior repair. It was very uncomfortable, but they removed it early the next morning (like 6 am). My doctor even told me he had the assistant pack the area and was 'impressed' with the amount of packing he used. It was uncomfortable and really the only reason I asked for IV pain meds. Removal took about 10 seconds and I felt better immediately afterwards. I did not walk around until it had been removed (I was very quesy that first day too).
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:09 PM

No packing for me either.

Not sure, but I think there might have been a few patients who had or were recovering from one of the 'super bugs' on the floor I was on. Because of patient confidentiality, it's hard to say because they no longer list the type of infection on the door, so only the hospital staff working in that room know. On a few of the doors I did see a green sign that said 'Safe', and there were a few instructions, such as wash hands, throw away gloves, masks, etc. on the sign. I do remember seeing another sign, not sure what it said at the top, but it also had instructions about keeping curtain drawn, wearing gloves, hat, shoe and clothing covers, throwing away stuff before leaving room, etc. on it.

Hard to say what was wrong with the people inside the room, but the signs were up.
Unread 04-09-2008, 10:03 PM

Total abdominal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. No packing. Unless it's still up there! No, really, there was no packing at all, and no need for it. I just had a little bleeding on the 2nd day when I had the catheter removed (no big deal at all) and went to the bathroom on my own.
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:00 AM

I had a TAH and had no vaginal packing. They inserted a tube into my vagina that lead to the outside and was attached to a small bag. This collected any bleeding that occured and it was emptied several times a day. When my cath came out they left this in and I just carried it with me to the toilet and back and it just laid beside me in bed. No big deal really. My mom had a vaginal hyster done about 15 years ago and they packed her but it was removed fairly quickly after the surgery. Not in long enough to walk around with.
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Hi there I had a TVH on APril 1st and I had the packing the take it OUT before you get up and walk around, you will have it in for 24 hrs, it isn't bad at all, you really don't feel it much at all. It didnt' hurt at all when the took it out either just a yucky weird feeling

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register