Horrible experience after second surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horrible experience after second surgery Horrible experience after second surgery

Unread 03-29-2014, 12:38 AM
Horrible experience after second surgery

I had my first (yes, I had two)hysterectomy on Jan 17th, 2014. I want to say that recovery was so easy and pain free. I weaned off meds on day 5. I received the call, they found cancer. I met with Oncologist, he said he had to go back and take my ovaries, fallopian tubes and lympnodes. My second surgery was Feb 28th. The divinci robot this time. He said easy recovery, since the first was a cake walk he saw no problems.
When I came to in recovery, the nurses were horrible, refused to give me oxygen because I couldn't go home if they did, I should just relax and breath. My pain was so bad....I wanted to get up walk and use bathroom. When I asked how long I was staying, they said you have until 7:30, that's when we go home. I was sent home 3 hours after surgery in pain crying.
I had the worst two weeks, so much pain. My family couldn't understand why I was having trouble. Finally, I broke down and begged for my husband to take me to ER.
3 Ct scans, I had a major infection, they pumped antibiotics into me all night long. They had to insert drain to get infection out. 5 days in hospital....All because they rushed me out after surgery.
Now every little ache or pain scares the hell out of me, I don't think I could deal with that ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Re: Horrible experience after second surgery

I am so sorry that you had a horrible experience for your second surgery. Where did you have your surgery done? At a day surgical center or a hospital? I suggest you contact the center or hospital and put in a formal complaint. They shouldn't be refusing you medical interventions based on the fact they want to close up shop and go home.

By the way, your second surgery was not a hysterectomy. A hysterectomy is the removal of the entire uterus (includes cervix) and removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes is called an oophorectomy/salpingectomy.

I really hope that you have turned the corner and are going to get better from now on.
Unread 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM

Home 3 hours after surgery!!?? I had RAVH on the 24th and I hurt real bad afterwards, there's no way I could've went home 3 hours later!!! I was supposed to have went home the same day but I asked if I could stay over night before i went into surgery....I feel so sorry you had to go through that! I hope you are better now...I know the Co2 gas pains from the surgery hurt horribly bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2014, 04:12 PM

Although my surgeries were in a hospital, my SIL had surgery in a day surgery center. However they assured her that if her recovery took longer than their hours open, she would be transferred to an overnight facility/area. I believe that is the standard for recovery areas, even in day centers. If you think being sent home too early was a problem, do contact the nurse manager or higher up to report and discuss it. I'm sorry your experience was so bad. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM

I had a DaVinci hysterectomy, and they kept me overnight for about 23 hours total. I had a catheter overnight and plenty of pain meds. I can't imagine having to go home just a few hours after surgery. I can understand keeping us there less than a day, so it's not "in-patient," but this just seems ridiculous!

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this infection. I had one from a different surgery years ago, and it was quite painful. Make sure to baby yourself as you recover from the infection!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register