Upcoming hysterectomy 2/8: Pregnancy test required pre-op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/8: Pregnancy test required pre-op Upcoming hysterectomy 2/8: Pregnancy test required pre-op

Unread 01-30-2016, 01:42 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/8: Pregnancy test required pre-op

[quote=Mindy Lee;4725146]Because it's my body. Because they want me to pay for it. Because I knew without a shadow of doubt I wasn't pregnant. Because I would have had an abortion and my hysterectomy would have had to be delayed - again.

And mainly - because it's my body and I have the right to say no.[/QUOTE

Thankfully you have taken precautions so it sounds like you will be okay. I have never been pregnant (not my choice) and with the way I was bleeding it would have been immaculate conception...lol..but it was part of the routine so I took the test, even as I knew it was a waste of time. Hoping all goes well with you and everything goes exactly as scheduled. It sounds like you are ready! We will all be here for you during your recovery as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2016, 02:36 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/8: Pregnancy test required pre-op

[quote=sunshine056;4725152]
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Lee View Post
Because it's my body. Because they want me to pay for it. Because I knew without a shadow of doubt I wasn't pregnant. Because I would have had an abortion and my hysterectomy would have had to be delayed - again.

And mainly - because it's my body and I have the right to say no.[/QUOTE

Thankfully you have taken precautions so it sounds like you will be okay. I have never been pregnant (not my choice) and with the way I was bleeding it would have been immaculate conception...lol..but it was part of the routine so I took the test, even as I knew it was a waste of time. Hoping all goes well with you and everything goes exactly as scheduled. It sounds like you are ready! We will all be here for you during your recovery as well.
I am 7 weeks post op, thanks!

I think when you've been bleeding like a stuck pig to the point of blood transfusions and have told the hospital staff you've not had sex in months because of your health problems, it's absolutely insulting to have them insist on a test you don't need. Thankfully, my hospital and my doctor agreed with me.
Unread 01-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/8: Pregnancy test required pre-op

I had to take one too. They told me it was routine. No worries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2016, 09:36 AM

I'm 53, and they asked me for a urine sample the morning of surgery. I thought, no big deal, didn't know what it was for.

A little while later, the nurse comes in and says "Well you're not pregnant!", and my sister-in-law and I laughed so hard I nearly fell off the bed. I had no idea that's what the urine was for.

For a 53 year-old woman!
Unread 01-31-2016, 09:47 AM

My understanding is that some women misrepresent, miscalculate, or forget details, or staff may make incorrect assumptions, so it becomes a policy that applies to all. But at least where I was, it was possible to refuse, and I think that would usually be the case. Certainly someone should take appropriate precautions, if that applies to their situation. In my case, no one mentioned having done a test, it would have been ridiculous, but I think I fell outside the guidelines.
Unread 01-31-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks, all! Mostly I'm just uptight because I really want everything to go forward, no hitches. Emotionally I just don't know if I could do the waiting anymore! I don't have the option to decline, I asked. But, to help keep my sanity, I bought a 3 pack of tests, took 1 yesterday and can take the other 2 through this week! I've been on the pill 20 years, and take it every single day at 830 am, I have an alarm! But, miraculously, the non stop bleeding stopped about 2 weeks ago so significant other and I have been having some serious sex sessions before the bleeding starts again and before post op recovery. I think my brain just fixates on little details such as the pregnancy test because I'm uptight and anxious about the whole thing. Thank goodness 8 days to go!!! Again, thank you all for your support and discussion! It helps to feel listened to!!!
Unread 01-31-2016, 12:11 PM

I was premenopausal and 58 when I had my surgery. I found it crazy that all the Drs freaked out because I was too old to still be having periods but made me take a pregnancy test too. If I had thought of it, I would have refused too

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register