Very Scared, go in tomorrow for total hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very Scared, go in tomorrow for total hyst Very Scared, go in tomorrow for total hyst

Unread 04-20-2003, 08:01 AM
Very Scared, go in tomorrow for total hyst

I found out tuesday the 15th that i have to in monday the 21st for a total abd hyst. I am so scared, I don't know how to prepare myself or my household. This is really short notice, any advice.

linus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi Linus,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters.

While you have a very short time to prepare, it can be done! If you haven't already, check out the hints for Pre-Op and Post-Op. To get to them, go to the top of this page, where there is a drop-down arrow that says More Hyster Sisters. Click the arrow and find Pre-op Hints and Post-Op Hints.

Try to read all that you can here on this site, and if you have specific questions or concerns, be sure to ask. We're here for you whenever you need us.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 04-20-2003, 08:13 AM

Hi linus

Sounds like you might still be in a state of shock. You can find out a lot by reading the pull-down menus and posts by other women as to what to expect. You don't say what kinds of responsibilities you have at home, but you need to plan for having none for the first little while. Generally the recovery period for a TAH is a full six weeks, maybe more. The first two weeks are when you probably will need the most help.

Of course it is normal to be scared. There are so many unknowns here. But chances are you will find that the experience, both in the hospital and at home, to be a whole lot less difficult than what you imagine it to be. Be sure to discuss any concerns or questions with your anesthesiologist so you can have the best possible experience.

Let us know how things go for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2003, 10:52 AM

Hi linus! I'm glad you found this site. I had my TAH in Nov of 02. I found this site by accident,but am sooooo glad I did! I know you're very nervous and probably a little scared about this. I had my surgery on a Friday and went home on Monday. Other than the obvious circumstances, the weekend was kinda restful. You get plenty of sleep(which you will definatley need). The doctors and nurses main goal is to make you as comfortable as possible.
When you get home you'll need someone to help with housework, laundry,etc...for awhile. I'm sure you have someone to help. I found that when I came home, I was getting calls from people I did'nt really know. I believe that for the most part, people are willing to do for others in need. You are anxious now, but in no time you will feel as good as new and then you will be able to share your experience with us and maybe even help someone else in this situation. God Bless and let us know how you're doing.
Unread 04-20-2003, 02:02 PM

Dear Linus,
I had my TAH 4 weeks ago. The best advise I received from anyone is to remember "every day gets a little easier" This statement has been so true for me!
Just let other people do things for you....this is very important for a speedy recovery!
Good luck and God Bless...I will say a prayer for you.
Sweetp
Unread 04-20-2003, 09:14 PM

Good luck linus73. I wish you a speedy recovery. I am scheduled for my surgery May 30. Please let us know how you are doing. I too am very afraid ,so remember you are not alone. Take care and take one day at a time!!! Hugs from Canada!!!
Unread 04-20-2003, 09:42 PM
A Pillow :-)

I know it's silly, but make sure your ride home brings you a pillow or soft stuffed animal to protect you from the seatbelt. I was lucky, my sister-in-law had given me a large stuffed animal while I was in the hospital, but I would have liked to have a pillow (tee hee). That's been my biggest comfort. Also, I had trouble with the morphine drip - made me nauseous and unable to hold anything down. Oh, and for me, the darvocet made me paranoid -finally settled on vicodin, works fine. Best of luck and it's really not as bad as you think it'll be - truly. Hugs!
Unread 04-21-2003, 05:50 AM

Hi Linus,

I see from your profile that you have 4 kids. From your age I am assuming that they are on the young side.

The most important thing that you can do for the kids is write out their schedules and likes/dislikes. This will help them a lot to feel comfortable.

I'll be thinking of you and your family. Please let us know how you make out.

Best wishes.
Unread 04-21-2003, 12:03 PM

good luck. and god bless.

i go on tuesday the 22nd.

i am also scared.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register