I have huge cysts, heavy periods, but no pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have huge cysts, heavy periods, but no pain I have huge cysts, heavy periods, but no pain

Unread 04-26-2003, 08:27 AM
I have huge cysts, heavy periods, but no pain

Most people here seem to be suffering from pelvic pain of some sort. I don't have any at all, aside from the twinge of pain I get the day before my period. My cysts are very large bilaterally, my periods are every 28 days; but extremely heavy. I seem to be the only one here with no pain. Does anyone think that is strange?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2003, 08:34 AM

Nope, I had no pain, no unusually heaving bleeding and normal periods until I had sudden onset of severe abdominal pain that sent me to the ER about 6 weeks ago. Ends up I have a huge cyst on my left ovary, and multiple huge fibroids (uterus the size of a 6 - 7 month pregnancy) and they can't even see what's going on with my right ovary.

Go figure! So this has all been kind of a shock to me. Makes me feel very fortunate, though, that I missed the years of pain and problems that most women here seem to have experienced.
Unread 04-26-2003, 08:47 AM

My fibroids were asymtomatic for years. No heavy bleeding, no pain. My escalating bladder problems were what first drove me to consider doing something. Then, suddenly, about 6 months ago, I not only started having painful cramping during periods, but started suffering major pain on my right side. I finally ended up in the emergency room, doubled over in pain. The doc was pretty sure it was my largest fibroid exceeding its blood supply. I finally got a sonogram and discovered that my fibroids were far larger and many than I had realized, my uterus was quite enlarged, and my internal organs were under a lot of pressure.
The point of my story is that it is amazing how much the body can put up with sometimes without giving you pain signals, but it also seems to be true that in most cases, if you wait long enough, that pain will eventually manifest itself. Even though I was pain free for the entire month before my surgery, the memory of that horrid pain kept me from backing out of the hyst. And the doc said after the operation that my uterus was even more of a massive fibroid factory than the sonagram and exams had shown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2003, 09:10 AM

I have never had any pain , just heavy bleeding for the past month. And when I say heavy bleeding, I mean the kind that keeps you from getting off the toilet because it comes in a constant stream. I had no symptoms until the end of March, so it was a surprise to find out that I have an ovarian cyst and uterin fibroids.

I just had a normal pap smear April 23--go figure. I guess it would all seem more real if I had something like pain or other functional problems. The tests say I am severely anemic, but I really don't feel that bad.
Unread 04-26-2003, 10:25 AM

Please don't compare yourself or your situation to anyone else's. Yes there are ladies who have endo, adhesions, adeno, etc, and lots of continuous pain. Then there are lots of ladies like you - except for heavy bleeding or episodes when they seem to go on forever, they don't think they have problems. It becomes a quality of life issue for some - feeling like they can't leave home for a few days a month; if they do go out they have to make sure they know where the closest restroom is located; scheduling vacations, etc around their periods.

I was diagnosed with fibroids in 1998, and had a couple of episodes of very long, heavy periods. My DR put me on Provera for 10 days/month to control the bleeding. It did it's job for 2 1/2 years, then in October 2001 it stopped working. I had a period that lasted for 46 days - heavy bleeding and huge clots. I'd have a day or so when it would slow down, then start again. I had a vacation trip planned, and it was right in the middle of this. When I got home I called the DR, had to go for a blood test which showed I was very anemic, and another ultrasound. My fibroids had grown considerably. Except for a couple of days of menstrual cramps each month I didn't have pain.

I am now almost 15 months post op, and I must have been feeling really bad for a long time, it just creeps up on you so gradually that you don't notice it. I feel younger and healthier now than I have for years. DH & I started biking a few weeks ago - hadn't ridden my bike in years - and I've been riding further and easier than I did when I was 20 years younger.

Everyone is different, and has to make their decision based on what they feel is right for them.

Best wishes!
Unread 04-26-2003, 10:38 AM

I didn't have any huge amount of pain other than regular cramping - it was the heavy, irregular and unpredicatable bleeding that was more of a problem along with the anemia that I haven't been able to get rid of even with supplements and iron shots. I think my quality of life should improve with this operation - at least I will save money on the underwear, clothing,
furniture etc that I have ruined with the bleeding. No more packing a packsack just to carry supplies, no adult diaper when pads won't cut it, no dashing to the washrooms when something unmentionable is sliding down your leg.......ah the freedom that is coming!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register