vaginal hysterctomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal hysterctomy vaginal hysterctomy

Unread 07-23-2004, 04:30 PM
vaginal hysterctomy

Hi all- I am scheduled for a vag hyst. 8/31/04- I ahave read tons about the recovery for an ab hyst. but cannot find much about a vag one except that it is shorter and easier...Can anyone elaborate???Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 10:33 PM
vaginal hysterctomy

Ooh, me too. I'm going in Aug the 1. My biggest concern is leaving or taking the ovaries. Also I'm wondering about having a epidural. This site has been a wealth of information, but I'm not having much luck with my own questions.
Unread 07-23-2004, 11:10 PM
vaginal hysterctomy

I'd like to know, too. Just how much "easier" is it; how is the recovery different or the same? I want DETAILS! :-)

My gyn is planning on leaving my ovaries, but she never mentioned anything about my cervix. My pre-op is Wednesday and that's one of things I plan to ask her about. She said she may not be able to do it vaginally since I've never had children, but she's going to start out that way. I sure hope she can finish it that way.

Astarte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2004, 06:39 AM
vaginal hysterctomy

My dr. said that he will be able to do it with a spinal and that I get to keep my ovaries.. I guess it is the best of a bad situation !!. I am worried about the recovery as I have 3 childeren under 9. and a husband that thinks if I am not bleeding out of my eyeballs then I must be fine..(don't even get me started if he gets a sniffle.!!!!!) ha.
Unread 07-24-2004, 07:03 AM
vaginal hysterctomy

This is great!! a little group of us going through the same thing - talk about support!

My Gyn planned on leaving the ovaries, but the cervix comes out because of it's location? There is a lot more information in the pre-op section of this site, but I really wanted some other ladies to talk with now. I've had two other gyns saying I should take the ovaries and just be done with it. So do all my female friends that have gone through this. But having surgery, and being tossed into menopause is almost over-whelming to me. One day I'm having them taken out, the next I'm keeping them. big sigh.

I am interested in spinal, if anyone has more info, please let me know.
Unread 07-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Vaginal Hyst

Hi there,

I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2/03 where they took my cervix, uterus and left ovary. During the procedure I had a large cyst on the ovary that was attached to my bowel and abdominal wall (which they didn't realize) so when they cut away at it I hemmorhaged so they had to actually open me up. The recovery was fine. One day in the hospital and within 3 weeks I was back to my old routine starting gradually after a week or so.

Most of the recovery was for the abodominal surgery. I didn't have any pains or feelings of discomfort vaginally at all and was told by the doctor that the whole procedure was done vaginally before the cyst was removed. Had it not been for the cyst, I'd have had only a vaginal procedure.

Best of luck to you. I pray for a speedy recovery!
Unread 07-24-2004, 09:43 AM
vaginal hysterctomy

Hi to all those ladies in waiting for a vaginal. Glad you found this wonderful site before your hyst, I found it after and am sorry I missed pre hyst sisterly advice. But here is my story:

I had mine 6/29, took uterus (Fibroids), cervix and right ovary (due to adhesions with ovary in my abdominal wall) and the recovery has been great, I do not have problems sitting up or bending since I do not have an incision. Have slight cramping when I am up and around too much, but no severe pain since day 2. I feel tired, Doc says its because your body is expending so much energy into healing (You do still have many many internal stitches) but I'm up and around walking, doing light housework and seem to be having an easier time than most on this website. But do be careful and not do too much because you can't see a scar. Lifting and pushing heavy stuff and not taking your naps is a no no, remember what this site says "You are a princess, and you only have one chance to heal" I like the DO's and DONT's, especially don't wear clothes or makeup or look like your well, people assume you are. (I disobeyed this and everyone thought I was healed at 2 weeks, my husband was suprised when I told him I would only by 40% at 6 weeks.)

My Dr. preferred a vaginal but said there was a chance if my fibroids where too large, he might have to change to abdom.

From what I understand, if they do a vaginal, they have to take the cervix. Don't miss mine as of 4 weeks out (Had outercourse and the O was the same). But I also had abnormal cells several years ago, so didn't mind them taking it.

Good luck with yours. I'm interested if other vag's are as easy.
Unread 07-24-2004, 09:48 AM
vaginal hysterctomy

Sorry for the long replies, you asked about a spinal?
My anesth. says she normally does a general with a vaginal and a spinal with a abdominal. She also said that most women need enough general to keep them out during the op, that she recommends the general for all so you don't get twice the meds. However, the pre-op appt nurse says spinal/epidural is more complete pain med. I had severe pain first 12 hours with nausea (even after they gave me nausea meds), but once they took out the catheter and I could get up and move I felt great. Friends even told me I looked better two days after then I had for the last few months. We women are too tough and live in pain alot more than we think we do.
Unread 07-24-2004, 10:53 AM
vaginal hysterctomy

I'm nervous about anesthesia. I had two surgeries 7 years ago within a 6 month period. The first time I vomited so much I couldn't keep the pain meds down and I lost a lot of a hair. The second surgery I lost a whole week of memories, prior to the surgery - I can't remember a thing for that week. I have a low tolerence to pain meds, and can stand pain. I would love for them to give me a spinal and not put me under for the surgery. Just load me up with Valium, I'll sleep right through it I guess I'll find out thursday for my pre-opt, what options I have. This "one day I'm keeping the ovaries, the next day I'm not" is making me crazy.
Unread 07-26-2004, 09:36 AM
vaginal hysterctomy

Good luck with your pre-op, definitely see what they have to say about the anesthesia and the ovaries.

I was told the anesth. would call the day before, they did not, but if you know what office you are using, you could try to call them, they all seem to have their opinions. But trust yourself.

On the ovary question, I had made my mind up to keep mine, but at preop the doc said "I can't gaurantee that will get rid of your pain" They really can't see endo and adhesions until they get in their. I gave him the right to take them out if he thought they looked bad, (I really trust him) He took out my right, it was stuck to my abdominal wall very high up. He said my left looked pretty good.

You did not say your age? I'm 42, the doc says the rule of thumb is under 40 keep them, over 45 take them. Being right in the middle I changed my mind each day like you...

Of all my friends, two had ovaries taken in their 40's and have had no problems, two others kept at least one, no problems.
Talk with you doc about your actual symptoms to see if your pain may be in your ovaries, that may make your decision easier. It would be a shame to have to do a second surgery later to go get them.

All in all, I probably got the best of both worlds, one left, one taken!

Good luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register