35 and had a hysterectomy on Aug 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

35 and had a hysterectomy on Aug 5 35 and had a hysterectomy on Aug 5

Unread 08-17-2005, 01:27 PM
35 and had a hysterectomy on Aug 5

I feel very scared regarding weight gain hormones and everything else is this normal or just being paranoid. My stomach looks like I am nine months pregnant does it go away. I am also bleeding is that normal as well or am I overeacting on everything thanks for any advice

valerie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2005, 03:59 PM
it's all o-kay

learn to love that pudge you'll look three months prag for 3 to 6 months, I finally lost the pudge about 4 months post op. and bleeding is normal for about a week.. but if it's bothering CALL YOUR DOC. you'r not bothering him. theres a reason they make the big bucks. I probaly called me doc every other day, and if I hadntthey would have never figured out theres was other problems..
Unread 08-17-2005, 04:13 PM

Valerie,
I am 36 and 9 weeks post-op from a TAH/BSO. I also looked very pregnant for a while. It does get better, it just takes time.

I started to notice that the swelling got better around the 6 week mark. I still have some mild swelling in the evening, but not too bad.

I haven't had any weight gain so far. My weight seems to be staying the same, but I won't start HRT for several more months. I only take progesterone for night sweats.

You're still early in your recovery. It hasn't been too long for me so I can remember those days and I thought I would never feel "normal" again. Give it time. Before you know it you'll wonder where the time went and you will feel so much better.

As for the bleeding, I never had any. But I would think if it is bright red then you should call your doctor.

Good luck with your recovery.
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Hi Valerie,
Welcome to hystersisters! I see you're new. You aren't being paranoid. These are concerns that a lot of us had early in our recoveries.
The swelling, we call swelly belly and is caused by the surgery. There is swelling and fluid retention for quite a while in some and not so bad for others. Since we are all different in what we had done and how easy or complicated our surgeries were this will vary for all of us. It seems to follow that the swelling is worse the more you do, so resting to let your body heal is always a good idea.
The bleeding is different for us all too. It isn't unusual to have some bleeding. Some women will bleed for several weeks. This usually isn't heavy though. If you have bleeding that resembles a period it would be wise to call and ask your dr about it.

There are a lot of resources on the site that can help you through your recovery. You might want to look at the Checkpoints and the Post-Op Articles. There is a lot of information there to help you know what to expect during our recovery and other information on common subjects that get asked about.
There is also a lot of information in the Hormone Article List. I'm pretty sure there are some artricles about weight gain with hrt.
I hope some of this will be helpful to you. Get your rest now, drink lots of water and do some walking to get your system going. Let us know if we can help.

's, Rita
Unread 08-17-2005, 04:56 PM

Thanks for making me feel that I am not alone in all of this when I am in a house with all men. you have made me feel better thanks

val
Unread 08-17-2005, 05:44 PM

I am 38 and had surgery Aug 10th!
I didn't see what type of surgery you had...but I have heard all over the place that some bleeding, as long as its not like a period, is normal.

Your fears are normal. I had/have them too. I also look pregnant, but it will go away. The best advice I can offer is what I do...ask your doc. I pester mine A LOT lol...
Unread 08-17-2005, 05:54 PM

I had a total hysterecomy I just hope to be able to fit in a pair of jeans instead of sweatpants by xmas is anyone on hormone patches or pills I am on the patch estraderm does it seem to be working or how do you know if it is ?
Unread 08-17-2005, 06:46 PM

My hyst on Aug 10th was to take everything, but the cervix, out. Ovaries, tubes and uterus is all gone.

I am on the Vivelle DOT patch and it seems to be working very well for me. Since I had premature ovarian failure, my body wasn't getting much in the way of hormones anyway, so my post-op surgical menopause didn't really affect me (so far).
I should have been on some kind of HRT for the last couple of years, but my docs didn't realise how close to non-surgical menopause I really was.
Because of all of that, my oppinion on how well my patch is working might be a bit skewed, because I havn't had my own natural hormones for a while, then all of the sudden the patch is here to give me what I need...and I feel GREAT! No sweating or hot flashes (and let me tell you..I had some DOOZIES before my surgery and patch!), no more weird hair growth, lethargy, or severe mood problems/depression.
I have a lot more energy..but I had more problems than the PMOF (or POF, depending on which term is used here) I had a fibroid tumor, a polyp, and fam hist of ovarian cancer. So, it's unclear right now if my newfound energy is from getting hormones that I wasnt getting before, or if its because I feel better from having everything that was making me sick, removed.

I don't know if that helps at all, lol,...but I thought it couldn't hurt to share :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register