Can't stop crying after my hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't stop crying after my hysterectomy Can't stop crying after my hysterectomy

Unread 04-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Can't stop crying after my hysterectomy

I am 37 years old and had a hysterecomy for heavy periods 4 days ago. We planned to keep both ovaries but when my gyn got in he found excessive endometriosis on one ovary and took the right ovary. After surgery I was completely fine with that decision. He assured me that one ovary would work just as well as two. I had an excellent postop hospital stay, stayed one day, came home, pain is mimimal and controlled now with only occasional ibuprofen. I have plenty of help around the house, family is waiting on me hand and foot, lots of attention. Then, today, I wake up crying for no reason. I have cried all day and don't know why! My husband keeps thinking he has done something wrong and I keep telling him I don't know why I am crying! It has got to be hormonal, don't you think? I am scared that my one ovary is not working. I have heard that our ovaries can go into shock after a hyst but what do we do in the meantime? I am a RN so I have to try to rationalize all the details out about how my body works. My reasoning is....progesterone is our happy hormone. After a pregnancy our endometrium leaves rapidly taking all its progesterone with it causing postpartum depression. Well, since I just had a hyst, my endometrium (and its happy progestereone) was rapidly taken so I am having the same symptoms as postpartum depression. Does any of this make sense? It scares me to be depressed. I currrently take Cymbalta for anxiety, have taken it for years so what can I do now for depression? Will this subside in a few days? Please!!!! If any of you felt this way after your hyst (and kept an ovary or two) let me know. I don't like not being normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2007, 08:53 PM

I don't know much about the happy hormone theory so I'll just share my previous experience with you Back in 2003, I had two surgeries (both to remove endo) and during the second surgery my ovary also had to be removed. I also had intermittent moments of crying and sadness. Maybe my other ovary did go into shock for awhile or maybe it was just the fact that I experienced surgery and was healing. I'm not sure, but I can relate to what you're saying. As soon as I began to recover and feel better, my moods stabilized. I think anytime our bodies experience something stressful like surgery, it can affect our moods (even if our hormones are okay). You're only four days out so you still have a lot of healing to do! Of course, if things don't get better after awhile you should talk to your doctor about it. I hope things get better soon and you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 04-16-2007, 12:04 AM

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post op and I still find myself crying at stupid things. A cute commercial, a somewhat touching movie, etc. It is better now than the 2 days I was in the castle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2007, 05:30 AM

I hope you're feeling better. I don't know about the happy hormone thing either, but I do know that I was the same way after my TAH. I was very, very emotional and would cry over every little thing. The good news....it did go away. Just remember, you've been through a lot and are now healing. Believe me, it gets better day by day. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-16-2007, 06:01 AM

I had lots of crying spells when I got home from the hospital. My dh was beside himself trying to calm me down. I had a lot of side stuff going on like a UTI caused by a superbug, too many antibiotics, then thrush...it goes on and on but by 2 weeks out I was doing better. I can't really blame the hormones, they put a climara patch on me in recovery. My hormones were not working well before surgery anyway. I've had prometrium (a few times) and it just makes me weepy and tense. It could be that having such a big procedure just stresses all the hormones in your body...not just the estrogen and progesterone... and your body is trying to get everything back in order.

I hope you are feeling better soon, I know it is really hard right now, but it does get better.
Unread 04-16-2007, 06:51 AM

{{robinrn}}

Lots of ladies have gone through and going through what you are.

I was crying one afternoon and my Hubby asked me why I was crying.
I said "Because I can."

Don't ask.
I have no idea where such a silly answer came from, but it made total sense to me at the time when I told him that as a reason.

My doctor asked me about hot flashes and mood swings at my 2 week check up.
She got tickled over the "Because I can" reason.

My doctor told me that when they move things around to perform a hyst those things get bruised. They aren't meant to be touched like our skin is and bruise very easily.

The ovaries can go into shock and need to wake up, they need to heal from the bruises to get back in order and are dealing with reduced blood supply from the uterus being removed.

My doctor suggested I keep track of my hot flashes and mood swings.
If things don't improve then we would discuss HRT.
Things have improved.
I am not at 100% but hoping for the best and doing what I can to help me get there.

Start a little journal and write down if you feel hot, cold, feel like snapping at people, crying, time of day, etc...

If your doctor doesn't mention it then YOU mention it at your 2 wk check up.

We put our bodies through A LOT for a hyst.
So sit back, rest, drink lots of water, walk, rest, grab a tissue, cry, drink more water, and rest some more.

Make sure to check out the thread dedicated to your special day
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=294359
You will find a ton of support from sisters going through the same thing as you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register