Scheduled TAH Opinions please on post op travel | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Opinions please on post op travel Opinions please on post op travel

Unread 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Opinions please on post op travel

I'm wondering if I will feel like making a 12 hour car trip 7 1/2 weeks after my TAH. Any thoughts or opinions. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Re: Opinions please on post op travel

It all depends on how you heal. I have a vacation planned 3 weeks after my TAH. So we will see. I would think though at 7 1/2 weeks you will be ok.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM

I hope so because I have a trip to France planned at 4 1/2 weeks post op. Of course the type of procedure you have and how you individually heal will make a difference. I had asked a similar question and some of the responses were very helpful. Make sure you have pain meds and use them if needed, don't let the pain get to be too bad before you medicate. Take breaks so you can walk around and stretch. I will probably wear support hose or stronger on the plane to help prevent blood clots but I am flying not driving! Keep a small pillow handy in case the seat belt hurts your belly. Those are some suggestions I can think of. Hope all goes well with surgery and your trip!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM

I don't think it will be too bad, but you should plan on stopping at least every two hours to get out and walk around a little. It will help prevent clots and also you can get stiff when sitting for too long. I bought a new car shortly before my surgery and asked the salesman if they made extensions for seatbelts for cars like they do for airlines. He said yes and ordered two for me. He mailed them to me when they came in so that I had them prior to my surgery. I am still using one on my driver's side. I am short and seatbelts tend to go across my neck. The extension gives it slack and makes it more comfortable.
I would suggest taking a pillow or two with you. If someone else is driving, you can get more comfortable with the pillows.
When flying, get up and walk around on long flights. I didn't wear the compression stockings, but they were recommended by my primary doc. I just made sure I got out of my seat every few hours or so. I went to London in 2007. The flight was long and I got up at least every few hours to walk the aisle and/or go to the restroom.
Have a good vacation.
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:06 AM

You should be ok. (I would reserve a percoset or painkiller--just in case).

But I think you will be fine...
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM

We just got back from a Road Trip/Vacation that was 20 hrs of driving. We split it over 2 days, stopped for gas/coffee often and I reclined my seat so tummy wasn't cramped. I was sore by evening but didn't need pain meds. I was 5 weeks post op and managed ok. I did worry a couple times about funny pains, as we are still at higher risk for blood clots, but nothing came of the pains. Also, I had to spend a couple afternoons resting while hubby enjoyed some sights without me. Make sure listen to your body and rest as needed. Have fun!
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:40 PM

I felt completely back to normal by that point in time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register