Pain Meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Pain Meds

Hey sisters,
I will be 5 weeks tomorrow, and my Mom left last week (week 4) I know I have been over doing it and started to feel pain again, so I had to take stronger medicine than over the counter. Is that normal? I know we all heal differently, but do you think I will be feeling a big difference at 6 weeks?
Thanks for all your help and support
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Pain Meds

Hi Chris,
Your body is sending you a message. If you need something stronger and have it I don't think that is bad once in a while. I had to do it every now and then in the later weeks too, but if you make a habit of doing things that make you hurt that badly you are probably doing damage to your healing body. You need to listen and adjust what you're doing.
I did feel a big difference after 6 weeks and each week after that. I wasn't able to lift much for a lot longer than that though.
It was time to decorate for Christmas at 14 weeks for me and I tried to rearrange the furniture for the tree. I found very quickly that I couldn't do it without causing significant pain. We're all different in our surgeries and how we heal so I can't say how it will be for you. I just want to encourage you not to expect a miracle at 6 weeks. Six to eight weeks is the initial healing time, but doesn't mean you are finished healing. Go slow and add things a little at a time and you should do well.

's, Rita
Unread 08-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Pain Meds

I had to use Davocet today because I did too much today but there are days when I go the whole day without using anything. So I think the main thing is to listen to your body. I diffenitly agree that just because the healing process is quote unquote over everyones body is different.
Just take it easy and listen to your body, it will let you know.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2005, 09:57 PM
Pain Meds

We had the same surgery date. My mother just stopped coming up this Monday. I think you are probably just feeling normal. I know the past 3 days have been a little rough for me. I have done the dishes and cooked twice. And it seems to wipe me out. As far as hurting more some days.....I have that too. And my doctor said that means I am over doing it and Sit down...take that afternoon nap. They sent me home with 800 mg Ibuprophen and Vicoden. I still have a few vicoden left and had to take one last night. I washed clothes yesterday and then cooked a big meal. DH was having fried pork chop withdrawal. He hasn't had them since before my surgery. They are his favorite supper....3 times a week would probably satisfy him.
Hang in there and like I read here over and over.....listen to your body.

Theresa
Unread 08-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Pain Meds

Very good advice from your sisters...listen to your body. 6 - 8 wks is the initial healing time. Your body will continue to heal for 6 mo. to a year.

I will be 6 mo. post op this Friday...I am still pampering myself. Nothing is carved in stone...we all heal at our own pace.

Take care of yourself!
Unread 09-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Pain Meds

thanks to Rita and all of my hystersisters. I feel much better knowing that I am probably over doing it. I've been doing quite a bit and will SLOW DOWN. The kids are all starting school next week, even my 4 yr.old will be going 5 1/2 days, so I will have some real quiet time. This site and all of you are such a treasured blessing. Thanks Chris
Unread 09-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Pain Meds

Theresa,
When did you Dr. send you home with the medication? Did you see him recently? I am seeing my Dr. next week at 6 weeks, but I do understand now that I was defintely over doing it, laundry, cooking, cleaning, i have stopped vacuming however, only did that like two times and just the kitchen floor with a very lightweight vacum. I know what a Dumb Dumb Last night my kids had pancakes for dinner with sausage and they were the toaster kind! They loved it and so did I, had left overs for my dh. I need to be patient with myself. Thanks for the great advice, Chris
Unread 09-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Pain Meds

I haven't tried to vacuum yet. I dusted the living room today because my dh wasn't home and underfoot and I overdid that so much that I ended up having to take a Darvocet and take it easy the rest of the day. At least my living room is dusted and smells like pledge!
Debbie
Unread 09-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Pain Meds

Chris,

I was sent home July 31st. I spent 4 days in the castle due to complications from my supra-pubic catheter and problems with the nursing staff not following doctors orders. My doctors were very upset.....but that is neither here nor there. All turned out well, and I finally did accomplish bladder training. I called for a refill of the vicoden at about day 14 I think.....which the doctor gave me. She did say that script would be it unless I came in. So I have only taken them when I really felt I needed them. Vicoden is also addictive so I have been trying to be careful. I am pretty tough so don't take alot of any kind of medication anyway.....but I find if I overdo like today then I need a vicoden to take the edge off. I had a Dr. appt. with my dermatologist. 3 biopsies (two on my face).....he thinks all are probably malignant for basal cell carcinoma which is skin cancer. I'm not stressing, I have been through alot worse with this skin cancer thing. Anyway, we are self employed with no insurance so I use our state's teaching hospital. My doctors are 40 miles away, so it is a long drive and it is a long walk from the parking garage to the clinics and also I went and visited my neice's new apt on the island on the island while I was there and we went to lunch, picked up dd from school and made a light supper, watched the news...which is stressing me..we are about 40 miles se of houston...and well it has just been a long day...kinda over did it...so I took a vicoden about 6:00 and am feeling much better. My face was hurting too....so kinda killed two birds with one stone. I am 5 weeks 1 day post-op.
Unread 09-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Pain Meds

Thanks so much for your reply. It sounds like you and I are feeling the same things, which makes me feel better. I'm sorry you're going through a bit of a tough time with the other issues. You sound like a really strong person with a positive outlook. Sometimes I need to work on the positive outlook but I do work on it and it gets better. And it really helps to here from such nice people as yourself. Sending you hugs and thanks.

Your hyster sister,
Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register