3 Things - LSH need to know | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 Things - LSH need to know 3 Things - LSH need to know

Unread 12-18-2008, 01:27 PM
3 Things - LSH need to know

So there are 3 things concerning me:

1) the catheter - do they insert it when you are awake ?? The thought totally grosses me out....

2) Belly button incision - another notion that grosses me out - how do you care for it afterward and does it 'leak'?

3) General anesthesia - terrified about going under. I had a bad experience in 1982. Looked up on the internet yesterday and found that it was in fact some type of awake experience. I knew i was awake but felt i could not breath and was twitching all over and heard the people in room talking and they were noting what was going on and how they could not do anything since it was too soon since i was last given meds etc....then afterwards in recovery told me i must have been dreaming, but i wasn't. I still have some physical manifestations of that time (some nights just before i go to sleep the feeling of not being able to breath occur). Once i prop my head up a bit i am ok. Do you think they will at least allow my head to be propped up until they need to tube me and then immediately after?

CSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2008, 01:36 PM

hi..my catheter was put in and taken out while i was under anesthesia. i dont remember my bb incision ever leaking.
anesthesia has so improved since 1982..i'm sure you have nothing to worry about. if you tell the anesthesiologist your fears, i'm sure he will let you stay propped up. you'll probably be given a sedating drug first, while you are still somewhat upright...and you wont remember anything after that, until you wake up in recovery.
try not to worry too much...good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 12-18-2008, 01:43 PM

Hi, CSD. My surgery was on Oct. 15th. for a LAVH. The catheter was put in after I was put under. My little incisions at my belly button and on each side healed up fine. I had no problems with leaking or infections. I barely knew they were there. As for the anesthesia, I don't know. It is awful what you went through before. Technology, thankfully, is much better now than in 1982. Hopefully you will have a much better experience. Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Hi,
as others have said, the catheter is put in after you are put under. My belly button incision hasn't leaked, it just bugs me cuz I am one of those who can't stand anything touching it so its really irritating me, and I agree anesthesia is much better these days. However, do discuss your fears with your anesthesiologist. They will understand.

Good luck....!
Unread 12-18-2008, 01:56 PM

Catheter already answered about the inserting after you are out.

Belly button incision, mine was just above the belly button. It was covered w/ Steri Strips and by the time those came off it just looked like a small cut above my belly button.

Anesthesia, definitely discuss and tell your anesthesiologist all of this. I would tell them at my pre-op appointment and also tell my doctor. As mentioned they will give you a "twilight" drug first and then do the full anesthesia after. I didn't even know they had dropped the twilight drug in my IV...I remember being wheeled in, moved over to the surgery table, asked to move to the right and that was it and that was before full anesthesia was applied. However with your situation and your concerns tell them now and tell them often.
Unread 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM

Thanks, you are making me feel much relieved......

CSD

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register