Disgruntled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Disgruntled

Greetings Sisters:

I would first like to tell each of you how much you are appreciated. This is such a wonderful place to come to for hope and inspiration. On July 30, 2007, I had a TAH and I did keep both ovaries. It has now been 9 weeks and 4 days
and I still am having problems with recovering. During my last post-op appointment @ 7.5 weeks, I gave my physician a list of problems that was still occurring. He then examined me and told me in short, that the body is like a cake, although the outside may be done, the inside still may need more time to heal.

It's now been 2 weeks later. I am still having vaginal pressure after sitting for over an hour. My sides hurt some very badly. I am not sure why. However, sometimes it feels as though someone is inside just reaping them apart. My stomach is still tender, sore and swellen, especially around
my navel area that is bruised still. I have lower back pain and frequent menstrual type cramps. I also have a thick yellowish type discharge. (Sorry for the graphics).

I did have 2 infections after the surgery and was treated with antibiotics (A total of 5 anti's in all). During that last appointment my doctor actually released me but not after chewing me out for not having sex with DH. HOW CAN I HAVE SEX IN SO...much pain and discomfort. He told me to get back into my regular activities gradually. This advice was too much...too little...and too late...being that I am a mother of 4.

During week 8, I felt so sorry for DH that I did reluctlantly, have sex. It was not a pleasant experience for me.
He was truly a sweetheart, as he really is, however, I just wanted him to get his so that it could be over with. Sorry,TMI.

Has anyone else had these type of problems after 9 weeks?
Do I need a second opinion? I am so DISGRUNTLED right now, I was not expecting recovery to be like this.

THANKS FOR ALLOWING ME TO VENT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Disgruntled

(((turquoise)))

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time with your recovery. I can understand why you are disgruntled. It sounds like you have been having a difficult time for quite a while. Reading your post I had several thoughts about what you may need to consider and do to figure out what's going on in you body.

A 'normal' recovery is generally thought to take from 6 to 8 weeks. That is for the initial healing of incisions to take place. After that you are still regaining strength and working back into your routines slowly(hopefully). The tissue around the incisions is still healing too. When you have any complications, such as your infections, that will usually increase the time required by the body to heal.

Considering all that, I can see where you could be nine weeks out from your surgery and still healing. You didn't fully explain, but I think from what you said, that you have very possibly been doing more than you really should do because of needing to care for your family. If this is true, I can really see how you might be hurting and tired and feeling discouraged about where you are in this whole process. Consistently over-doing while you are supposed to be resting so your body can heal can also prolong your recovery.

I understand how difficult it is to say to your family that you need to rest, but that is what I think you need to do. I feel that's the only way you are really going to be able to distinguish what is happening with your body.

I had vaginal pressure for a long time after my surgery. I found that it usually came when I was up too much or sitting too long. It's amazing, but it really is pretty common for women to say it hurts just as much to sit for too long as it does to stand for too long. I think the pressure usually comes from swelling, brought on by aggravation to that area.

I feel the decision about having sex needs to be something you are ready for mentally as well as physically. I'm sorry you were made to feel pressured to do this when you have been feeling so awful. It was a kind and generous act of love toward your dh though.

If it's at all possible I suggest you start delegating things and really try to rest and get some of this pain under control. After that start in slowly to do a little at a time. When you start to hurt or get too tired you have to stop and rest-don't push past the point your body tells you it can handle. If you can do this I think it will help you sort out what is probably your body telling you it can't do so much and what you might need a dr to help you with.

If you can say that you are doing your best to control your activities and find you are still in a lot of pain I would call the dr back and ask to be seen or go for a second opinion. I had pain for several months after my surgery when I would do things that were too strenuous and especially when I tried to get back into my work out at the gym. I went back to my dr several times, but nothing was ever found. I went to a physical therapist and got help with stretching and getting to where I could do more without pain.

Some of us just take longer to heal. Keeping in touch with your dr and eliminating the possibility of other complications is important. I'm not sure what to tell you about the discharge. That is a concern that can have different causes. If you are still healing and even have dissolving stitches that could explain the yellow discharge. If there is a foul smell it can also mean there is infection.

I hope you can go through a process of elimination and be able to figure out for sure what you are dealing with here. This is long,but I hope it will help a little to figure out what you should do.
Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 10-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Disgruntled

I hope you're feeling better and have some of your issues resoved now. I can't imagine having a family to care for while going thru this. Hang in there and listen to what your body tells you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Disgruntled

I am sorry you are having all these problems. I was at my Dr. office yesterday and while I was there she did say that the internal stitches she used on me take about 12 weeks to dissolve and that I can expect that tight sharp pulling pain until then possibly. She also told me after my 6 weeks to start doing scar tissue massages with vitamin E oil to help things out. I don't know if this helps at all but maybe your internal stitches are still there? This could be causing some problems with pain for you. I hope you feel better soon.

Janelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register