What's the first thing you remember in recovery? - Page 41 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's the first thing you remember in recovery? What's the first thing you remember in recovery?

Unread 12-03-2005, 09:43 PM
What's the first thing you remember in recovery?

What I remember is waking up in the recovery room and the nurse asked how I was, and I said I was in pain and she told me she would give me some Fentanyl and something else, then I fell back asleep and later woke up in my room. So I am glad at least my experience was good compared to some peoples.

I had a TAH/BSO and appendectomy on Nov. 16th, feeling great now!!! Glad I had it done!

Having a wonderful caring Doctor, and great nurses helps a lot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2005, 10:05 PM

The last thing I remember in the OR was the Anesthesiologist telling me that I would be asleep in about 45 seconds, and looking up at the ceiling wondering if I would start to feel sleepy. Then, the next thing I knew, a nurse was speaking my name in recovery to wake me up. And then the pain! There were two nurses there working on managing the pain, and then when I was ready, I was wheeled into my room.
Unread 12-04-2005, 07:16 AM

I woke up and all I remember is the P-A-I-N!!!!!
The nurse said I said a 5 then a 7 when they asked me previously. I was unconscious... how could I say anything? I told them its not a 5, its not a 7, its not even a 10.... IT'S 100 !!!!!
Then the nrse said she'd give me something else to better cntrol the pain, "but it will make me sleepy". DUH..... give it to me! I'm in the hospital with no other place to go. I REALLY don't mind sleeping through the pain here!!! ARGH.....
I was lucky enough to order the "cocktail" prior to anesth. so I didn't get sick. My doc uses somehting else in the pump too for pain to avoid nausea. I have the best DOC!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2005, 10:16 AM

First thing I remember is asking if they had to cut me or not. Of course they did..
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:34 AM
baseball.....

I don't recall being in recovery at all. My first recollection is being in my room with the Cardinals baseball game on the television--they were in the playoffs--and I asked the nurse if they were winning.....asked her TWICE actually. I don't remember feeling any pain--thanks to our good friend MORE-FEEN.
Unread 12-04-2005, 11:00 AM

I remember kind of wrything in the bed and saying "what was it...what was it?" (about the tumor)the nurse shouted out "she's asking questions"
the other nurse said "it was cancer " I said "it was malignant??"
she said yes...then I asked if my gyn/onc had come into surgery. The nurse said he had and then I said...oh geesh...I wasn't supposed to ever see him ever again! I had told him at an appt. pre surgery that I hoped that I would never see him again..
anyway...the next thing I remember is looking at the clock in my room... and the nurses telling to move myself into my bed. I kept saying I can't...I can't...the nurses kept saying sure you can. My mom and dh were there and I could hear what was going on but not really see very clearly. ..like through squinted eyes. Mom was getting annoyed that they were making me move myself.

soothankful
Unread 12-04-2005, 12:07 PM

The first thing I remember in recovery is the clock on the wall showing 10:00. This would have been pm. I felt a heaviness in my abdomen and I wasn't sure if I was dreaming because I knew my surgery started around 4:30. I thought the surgery would be about 3 hours. So seeing 10:00 on the clock confused me. Then I heard a man to my right gently call my name and ask how did I feel. I replied "nauseous, cold". I looked to my left and a young lady put something in my IV and the nausea began to subside. I then realized I did have the surgery and I was in the recovery room. It turned out that I was in the OR for 5 hours. An hour of that time was waiting for the urologist to arrive to do surgery to my bladder that had been nicked during the hyster.

What I don't remember is talking to my gyne after she completed the surgery. While I was still in the OR, she said she told me the surgery was over and I said "ok". She said most people don't remember talking to her right after the surgery.
Unread 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM

After reading all these posts, I'm realizing how much I have to be thankful for, even though my emotions are a real drag right now. The thing I wanted most in the hospital was a private room, but I knew I couldn't just get one for the asking. I was calm and curious during the preop transition - if I had known that I could have watched the process, I might have opted for an epidural. I remember being rolled into the operating room, scooting over on to the table, and seeing two large circles on the ceiling, which I assume were lights? Coming to in post op, I felt like I was in a cut-away tunnel, because I couldn't see anything to the sides. I was saying "It hurts" over and over - I hadn't expected to feel pain while I was on meds. I tried to push the air mask down - it made me feel claustrophobic - they let me leave it slightly off. Remember being wheeled into my room and looking around for my roommate, only to discover that I had a private room! Turns out all the OB/GYN rooms in that hospital are that way. I said "Thank you, Lord," to that, and repeated the phrase after scooting over on to the bed, because it felt so good to sink back onto the pillow and relax with the pump. No nausea, thanks to a patch behind my ear. Most of my stay was wonderful, except for a curt, no-nonsense nurse my last day.
Unread 12-04-2005, 02:39 PM

The first thing I remember was a nurse waking me to say "We are taking you up to the ward now". I must have woken up earlier but cannot remember a thing. After reading some of the other posts I'm so glad I can't!

I remember being wheeled along the corridors and going up in the elevator. I must have looked awful as there was someone else in the elevator at the same time (I think it was a man) looking at me in a funny way.

When we got to the ward there was my wonderful man waiting for me in the corridor - they must have rung him a while earlier. He looked so cute, all 6'2" of him, standing there with my pillow with the candy-pink cover (I specifically wanted that one with me while I was in hospital), my tapestry fabric bag and a look of great relief on his face! I love him so much!
Unread 12-04-2005, 03:17 PM

I only remember me and a nurse discussing the cap on my head as i kept trying to keep her from taking it off and she kept asking me why do I want keep it on because my hair was so beautiful, have long thin locs that were krimped, and I said I wanted to keep my hair in place, but i gave in to her and took it off. I don't remember being in the recovery room because, I was being pushed into my room and everything was still quite a blur until shortly after I settled in my room. I looked at the clock and i was 4:45pm and it was 12:00pm when I was in the operating room. My mother told me that my dr came out of the OR at 3:00pm to talk with her. The first thing I check was to make sure that I didn't have an abdomin cut and when I didn't felt the two three bandages I was relieved. I then look for the pump and began pushing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register