Day before surgery jitters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day before surgery jitters Day before surgery jitters

Unread 06-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Day before surgery jitters

Hi all!

I am going in tomorrow for my LSH procedure and I'm so nervous!!!
I think I'm more nervous about being under GA than anything. My hubby had a bad experience coming out of it and that just sticks in my head..BUT I know my body is different do that doesn't mean it will happen to me. I just have to relax and put it into God's hands.
I went for my pre-op yesterday and my bp was 150/94 which is high for me. It's just bc I'm so nervous right now.
Good news is I work in the hospital I am having this done and I work with my docs, resident, and nurses who will be caring for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Re: Day before surgery jitters

150/94 - you're not kidding when you say you were nervous! : )

You're absolutely right, every one is different. I've actually had different experiences on GA, some better than others, so if your husband ever did have surgery again, he may actually have a good experience next time! Well, as good of a GA experience can be - people don't really do them for recreation I suppose. : )

What you feel right now is SO MUCH WORSE than how you will actually feel after the surgery. I think the nervousness, anxiety, and I even felt sadness beforehand - just the whole rollercoaster of emotions about the "unknown" was worse than the actual surgery and physically recovering. Just think - tomorrow you will have the surgery, it will be over, and you can begin recovering and start your journey to a better, more healthy life! : )
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Tell the anesthesiologist your fears and they can tell you their plan for a good experience for you. I was a nervous wreck but it all went so well. Best wishes for a good experience for you as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM

There is an anti nausea medication they can give you before surgery that helps with not feeling likey caused by GA but it also helps with anxiety. For some reason last year when I came out of my lap with scar tissue removal I had a panic attack. So I told my anesthesologist last week right before my surgery and she said she wound give me extra anti nausea meds for any anxiety before and after!!!
Also you can go see a priest of preacher today. Tomorrow bring a rosary or cross if it's plastic hey will.let you bring into or. Just some type of symbol that will sooth you.
I received a blessing for anointing of the sick did a confession and received communion.I felt so much better. And then science wise my anesthesiologist gave me extra meds.
Have faith openly talk your health care provider and try to think positive!!
Best wishes!!
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:48 AM

I had also never been under GA and have seen my hubby have problems coming out too. I'm a paramedic and know what to expect, so when he had problems, I knew it was an issue. Too bad I didn't film it, because now we can laugh about it....

You are soooooo lucky that you are at the hospital where you know everyone! I had to have surgery in a big city hospital where I didn't know any of the staff, so you already have that beat, gal!

Before surgery I was so nervous that I didn't know how they were going to operate, I was shaking so bad. But we chatted with the nurses, and they gave me some Versed and Percoset, and I calmed down. Then they "snowed" me with more Versed and I didn't know any more! You will do great! Prayers to you for a great surgery and speedy recovery.
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Honestly, the pre-surgery jitters were far worse than the surgery itself or anything that's happened since! Everyone was so kind and took such good care of me - and in your case, these are people whom you already know. Trust them and try to relax, eh? :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register