Just found out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just found out Just found out

Unread 03-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Just found out

I was just told by my doctor that I had to have this done and I knew I was going to have an ovary removed about two months ago and was fully prepared for that but this was a shock and scary. I have never had major surgery. I am thankful for the suport of my family but all of them who have had this procedure done it was done in the 60's. I want to know things like other peoples experinces in healing afterwards. I just started school two months ago plus work full time. I hate to lose my momentum but I also realize its not something I should put off. So please if there are any things I can do to make this go smoothly I would love to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Just found out

Dot,
I would suggest starting with the *pre-op articles/hints* you will find the link to them on the home page... scroll down a bit and it will be on the left side....tons of hints and info there...then keep reading the pre op message boards and feel free to post any questions you have...,
Best wishes for a great surgery and smooth recovery,
Pam
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Just found out

Hi, Daisy!

I can relate. In 1997, when I was a 40-year-old graduate student, I got diagnosed with an ovarian tumor (fortunately benign) right in the middle of spring midterms. Six years later, I got flattened with painful endometriosis and had to have a hysterectomy a few months after I finished grad school; it delayed my job-hunting plans.

The good news is that I recovered nicely from both surgeries. The first absolutely had to be done because of the danger of cancer -- the tumor was possibly pre-cancerous and it wouldn't have been a good idea to leave it there! The second surgery, although it slowed me down for a few months, left me almost completely pain-free after months of miserably painful periods (complete with exploding "functional" ovarian cysts that sometimes laid me out for days).

My mother and aunts went through similar surgeries in the 1960s and 1970s, and although I can't know exactly what they experienced, I'm convinced that things are a lot better now. Many surgeries are now done with less invasive techniques than our mothers had to experience. Pain control is much, much better and safer than it used to be. Also, I think we now speak more openly about gynecological surgeries and demand more information from our doctors.

We can't control all the surprises our bodies throw at us, but we can take charge of our own recoveries as much as possible. Ask your doctor lots of questions, and leave yourself room to get well. You may bounce back very fast, or you may need lots of time to rest and recover. I know that it's scary, but if you listen to your body and have a doctor you trust, you'll get through all of this just fine.

Hugs and best wishes,
Juliepede

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register