Lasik eye surgery a week before my Hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lasik eye surgery a week before my Hyst? Lasik eye surgery a week before my Hyst?

Unread 09-22-2004, 06:36 AM
Lasik eye surgery a week before my Hyst?

Does anyone know of any way this could interfere or cause my Hysterectomy surgery to be cancelled. On my paperwork from the hospital on the general surgery questionair it asks about eye drops along with the million other things. I wouldn't think one surgery could mess up the other surgery but I guess the it's somehow possible, I don't want to take any chances. I should wait I know but some how don't want to & think I'm going through a mid life crisis, having all this done to me at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2004, 07:23 AM

Hi Stacyshan,

I don't think I would book the two surgeries so close together. I had lasik done a few years ago, and it's awesome, but I think I would postpone it until after your hyst. While I felt great after, you're still on a lot of pretty major eye drops which could interfere with the meds for the hyst. Also, it takes your eyes a couple months to adjust to how you'll actually see, and I can't imagine you want to be feeling blurry before going into a major surgery.

I would suggest you just go with the hysterectomy now, and schedule your lasik for down the road a bit.

Good luck!
Unread 09-22-2004, 07:27 AM

Hi, I think that I'd call my dr and ask. That way, you'll have the answer from the main source. It sounds kind of close for 2 surgeries to me too.

best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2004, 07:34 AM

Sistafriend - should I go to the consult today to see if I am a canidate for it? Will they use eye drops at that meeting that could be harmful to my other surgery? What if I were to have it done 3 weeks after my surgery, so I will be off work anyway to adjust, providing my hyst surgery goes well.
Unread 09-22-2004, 07:37 AM

Hi! They will likely use the drops that dilate your eyes, and I'm not sure if that would be a problem 2 weeks before your hyst or not. I would call your doctor and ask.

I think if you're feeling ok after your hyst, you'd probably be ok to do the lasik 3 weeks after. It might be good timing since you'll be off work anyway. Again, I would call and ask your doctor.

Good luck ... it is great not having glasses or contacts anymore. I use to be blind as a bat!!
Unread 09-22-2004, 10:51 PM

Hi stacy

I had lasik in 2001 (and went for enhancements later). For the first week post-op, I had to use two different prescription eye drops, one was antibiotic and the other was a steroid. These could possibly interfere with any meds you would need for post-hyst recovery.

As an early post-hyst patient, you may not be comfortable laying/sitting on the lasik chair/table for the procedure, and concentration to keep your eye on the "red light" may be difficult for you.

Also, during your hyst surgery, they will cover your (closed) eyes with an adhesive tape or vaseline gauze, and you wouldn't want someone fussing around your eyes too soon after your lasik surgery.

If you are just looking to combine your *sick time* for the hyst recovery with the lasik eye surgery, I went for my first lasik on a Thursday, and back to work with no troubles on Monday. When I later had enhancements, I did it on Friday afternoon, and back to work on Monday.

Perhaps you could schedule your lasik for a month post-hyst, so you would feel more capable to handle the post-op instructions from the lasik doc.

I see that you haven't been for the consult on your lasik yet? After my initial consult, I had to wait 3 whole months for my eyesight to stabilize before they would do the procedure (I was a hard contact lens wearer).

I hope this info helps.... good luck to you I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 09-23-2004, 01:47 AM

Stacyshan,

Lasik a week before hyster? I'd think not. For the first couple weeks or so I had to put drops in my eyes every 30 minutes. You will have checkups regularly after your Lasik....I had one the next day, then a week later...then a month later, etc. Also, as Twysmiling said, they will cover your eyes during surgery. I like her idea of a month (or maybe 6 weeks) after your hyster. With any procedure, there is a chance of complication....and I can't imagine dealing with both those issues and ending up with complications from one or both.

s
Cat
Unread 09-23-2004, 07:32 AM

As usual you ladies are so right. Went to consult yesterday & they told me the same things you all did. Now I am tentively scheduled for the 18th & my Hyst is on the 6th, if I'm not up to it then I will have to wait until the 1st.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register