When to return to work with 2 year olds? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When to return to work with 2 year olds? When to return to work with 2 year olds?

Unread 10-08-2016, 08:04 PM
When to return to work with 2 year olds?

Hello.. I had my robotic surgery on 9/29. I had all removed but my ovaries. Overall I think I am doing well. However, I get tired very easily, the 5 incisions are sensitive, noticing some hot flashes, I have difficultly getting up and down, discomfort when sitting down, moderate pressure in my pelvic area, but no major pain.
My worry is when to return to work. I am considered self employed and can return at my own discretion. I am a teacher. I work with children with disabilities(birth-3) and their families. I travel up to 45 minutes to go to homes. I spend a lot of time sitting on the floor interacting with the children (mainly 2 yrs old) and then sitting with the parents. I am bending, getting up and down off floors, at times I have to lift/carry children, and of course there is always the possibility of the child climbing on me. I know that everyone is different with recovery. I go back to the Dr. on 10/16 for a check up. I know to listen to the doctor (he said at time of leaving the hospital to take it easy until he sees me), but in reality, he has never been through the experience and pain.. etc. I would love to get feedback from women who have been through this and have faced having to go back to a job that can be a little physical. Though I am self employed, I do have to report to an agency regarding coverage for my families. I don't want to go back to early, then feel that I can't physically handle it, and then have to take time off again. Also, I don't want to injure myself either. I am finding it difficult/guilty to take it easy, because I am not in major pain. Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Re: When to return to work with 2 year olds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ236 View Post
I know that everyone is different with recovery. I go back to the Dr. on 10/16 for a check up. ... I don't want to go back to early, then feel that I can't physically handle it, and then have to take time off again. Also, I don't want to injure myself either. I am finding it difficult/guilty to take it easy, because I am not in major pain. Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.
and welcome! Right now you're not quite 2 weeks out, so it's still early in recovery for you. With robotic surgery, there's a good chance you'll be released to return to work after 10/16 if you have no setbacks. Still, you are wise to be cautious. I had minimally invasive surgery (not robotic) and I didn't start turning the corner on feeling human and having more stamina until sometime in week 4, around the time I was released. At the time, my doctor (also male) instructed me to resume gradually - "no swinging from the chandeliers" as he put it in his easy-going way. He was spot on. It was several more weeks before I could hoist heavy boxes at my office and it took a little more time for my abs to get strong.

By the time of your appointment, driving shouldn't be a problem, nor bending as long as it's not extreme or sudden. I'd lie down on the floor to stretch my back which is what ached the most as I returned to daily living - lying down was tricky, but getting down to the floor to sit and back up was not a problem. With picking up children, exercise caution and listen to your body. A 2-year old might still be too heavy at first (per my experience needing assistance picking up heavy boxes), so alert your parents and enlist their help. Invite the children to sit next to you and cuddle; or take a tummy pillow to spread their weight if one of them do climb on you.

I think you might find this link a good read for getting back into a routine, Returning to Real Life.

Rest well! Start doing a little walking when you're up to it.
Unread 10-10-2016, 08:32 AM

Thank you for your feedback. I guess I am struggling with the idea of feeling okay and not working, though I know its to early in recovery to go back. I fear going back and not having the strength to get through the day... let alone having the mindset. I spoke with the nurse and she recommended 6 weeks, but I have the feeling the doctor will say sooner. Ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM

I would strongly suggest 6 weeks, if you can! I was feeling pretty good at about 4 weeks and returned to work at 4 1/2 weeks to a desk job and while I was ok, I did feel sore and tired at the end of the day. Could you start out part time? Doing one short session would give you an idea of how much you can handle.

While I didn't have to return to a physical job, I remember that my first solo shopping trip buying a full cart of groceries (gallon of milk, 8-pack of gatorade bottles, etc.) left me a little more sore than I thought!
Unread 10-10-2016, 09:03 PM

I'm a teacher (K-8). I definitely think 6 weeks is the best option if you can. At bare minimum 4 weeks. Even after 6 weeks, I'm nervous. I teach dance at a public school. I think we'll have to try doing things in a way that's a little less physical and slowly build up our stamina. I'm terrified of the vaginal cuff breaking.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register