Pain medication is it normal to not need it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain medication is it normal to not need it? Pain medication is it normal to not need it?

Unread 06-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Pain medication is it normal to not need it?

I had a LAVH on Friday and have not taken any pain medication since Saturday. (I did take some regular tylenol.) I don't think I need it. Is this normal? I am reading about women needing it weeks after and I am wondering if it is going to hit me like a brick wall in a day or so or something. I am a little nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Its been about 9 months since my TAH-BSO, I was like you and needed no pain meds, after the second day, I also took plain tylenol, at first, just because they kept trying to give me stuff at the hospital and I though they knew best. Once I came home I took nothing, and like you kept waiting for it to hit. Im glad to say that it never did. Could not believe it, cause everyone always talked about how painful it was.
I guess we are just some of the lucky few that escaped the pain.
Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
Just dont try to do too much , cause it doesnt hurt.
Linda
Unread 06-06-2005, 09:10 PM

I'm 6 weeks post op and haven't had anything stronger than Ibuprofen after the first week home. We're just the lucky ones I guess. But just because there isn't any pain don't over do it. things are still healing inside and outside. Good luck

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2005, 09:33 PM
I was down to plain Tylenol

when I left the hospital. I did fill a script for Darvocet, but I've only had to take it once and that was for a really bad headache. I haven't taken anything since the second week I've been home.
I prefer the non-narcotic pain relievers -- I just don't like to feel "loopy."
It just depends on your tolerance to pain, and how quickly you heal, as well as how active you have been before and after your surgery.
Glad to hear you are feeling so well! Just be careful and don't overdo it because you feel so good. : )
Unread 06-06-2005, 10:43 PM

I had a TAH and from the 3rd day I was taking regular strength Tylenol. Doc gave me perscription for T3 when I left the hospital, and I took only 3 of them. He said I could stick with the regular, and just take the T3's if I knew I was going to have a big day. I stopped taking the regular Tylenol after two weeks, and the last few days of that were just as needed, not every 4 hours.

There were times when I did have pain and never took any meds, I found it much easier to monitor my activity if I could feel when I was doing to much.
Unread 06-07-2005, 09:25 AM

I took Percocet when I was in the hospital, but that was at the suggestion of the RN who said to keep ahead of the pain. I used it for about three days after surgery and have only taken Advil since for slight back pain and headaches.

I do agree that we are the lucky ones that don't need the pain meds. I feel bad for the sisters who are in pain. I have chalked it up to I was in pain before and didn't realize it...my pain threshold hit a high and I didn't even know it!!!

Best wishes, ladies.
Frasier
Unread 06-07-2005, 09:32 AM

LAVH on 5-27-05 and I had them take me off the Morphine in the Hospital the 1st day.. I havent had any pain since then. I did get the really bad headache a couple days after I was home and the Doc said to take one of the Darvocets he gave me and it took it away.. but I have felt really good pain wise since I had it. I'm about 9 days post-op now and just feel a slight cramping near the evenings.. probably cause I live alone and have been taking care of all the animals and everything since I got home. But as far as pain meds.. I dont need um either.
Unread 06-07-2005, 09:54 AM

The only time I used narcotics was the day of surgery when they had me hooked up to the morphine pump. I took advil on a regular basis post surgery til 4 weeks (drs reccomendation to keep the swelly belly to a minimum) We all have different issues, different surgeons, and different pain tolerance levels. Just be thankful you do not need pain medications and your head is clear.
Unread 06-07-2005, 09:58 AM

I had a LAVH on May 19th and I was like you really havent had much pain. Havent take pain meds since I left the castle. Anyways I guess we can just count our blessings that we are doing so well.
Unread 06-07-2005, 12:33 PM
pain meds

Hi Sisters,
I had a TVH/LSH on June 1st and 2nd. The LSH was in the early morning hours of June 2nd, because of internal bleeding that would not stop. YIKES! I am ok now because MD released me from the hospital on Saturday afternoon. OMG, I started having the worst headache (migraine) ever for almost 2 days straight. I finally opted to go to the ER and get a Demerol shot. I was out of it and got some sleep, but my headache kept hanging on for another 7 hours and then broke. It was the Mother :dragon: of all headaches. I have very little abdominal pain that I keep under control with a couple of ibuprofen. I hate narcotics and what they do to me and MD gave me a whole arsenal to deal with the pain. I had nightmares for a couple of days after the surgery and still have very vivid dreams since the demerol shot. My taste buds and sensory perception is working overtime and I still feel very much drugged. MD said my migraine was most likely due to a sudden drop in estrogen and said it would usually last between 3 - 5 days post-op. I was sleeping pretty much all day yesterday and all night. I woke up this morning ready to conquer the world. I found out in no time that I do get tired easily and still need to rest inbetween activities. Taking a shower is quite the chore now.
I had such high hopes that I would be back to work by 6/15. I am not so sure anymore.
Thanks so much to everyone who has posted here. I don't feel so alone reading your messages.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register