What the heck are granny pants? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What the heck are granny pants? What the heck are granny pants?

Unread 12-27-2004, 10:20 AM
What the heck are granny pants?

Hi...getting ready for surgery on Wednesday. What the heck are granny pants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Granny panties are...

Those big ugly panties you would expect your granny to wear!!! Seriously I would think any loose, comfy panties that won't bind anything you don't want bound. Don't have to be ugly I don't guess. Thanks for the smile. Christy
Unread 12-27-2004, 10:51 AM

they are what we fondly call over size - high waisted undies.

actually one of the best tips i got from this site was to buy underware 2 sizes larger than what you usually wear and high waisted too. after my SAH there is no way to feel comfortable wearing too tight underware. even now after 5 months i still do not wear my bikinis. because the waistband aggrivates the incision.

get some granny pants you will thank us!

jane321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2004, 11:14 AM

With a bikini incision, I didn't feel I needed granny panties. But I did have my DH go out and buy me some hi-cut briefs and hiphugger panties one size bigger than I usually wear. Note that cotton is the best--more breathable and doesn't seem to "snag" on the stitches like nylon does.
Unread 12-27-2004, 01:52 PM

I had an abdominal binder put on me in the recovery room. I did put on some "granny panties" to come home in, but after that I wore only my binder and no undies for a couple weeks. I'm almost three weeks post op now and I can wear panties fine, though I have to admit, I kinda got used to the idea of nothing!
The other nice thing about no panties is that the first week or so, even pulling those up can be painful. Good luck to you!

Leslie
Unread 12-27-2004, 02:58 PM

I followed the instructions here to buy granny pants, and I'm glad I did. My normal size is very tight on my swelly belly. I bought mine in bright pink and purple so I could easily tell the difference!
Unread 12-27-2004, 03:16 PM

I wore my own high waisted --high sided pants ---very lightweight with tons of stretch. They are referred to as "nudes" I also used my own minipads after the first day and felt like a new woman. I also have been wearing velour 2 peice suits--loose but not pajamas.
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:57 PM

Ok, I'll say it outloud...I love my grannie panties. They're big, white, and non-sexy, but putting them on made me feel good. I think it was the psychological boost of putting on something that was new and pristine white. Putting them on was just comforting. Yes, I'm that weird.
Unread 12-28-2004, 07:54 AM

I'm with Eubbie! I've been wearing "granny panties" since I was in my 20's, and they are so comfy! After all, if DH can wear those big old ugly white briefs, I figure he shouldn't complain about what I've got on.
Unread 12-28-2004, 08:55 AM

Wow, I guess I did the opposite of everyone. I bought a very-high-waisted Hanes one-piece granny panty that is made of soft spandex. I wanted everything to be held in TIGHTLY.

Three years ago, I had a mini-abdominoplasty, liposuction and scar revision. They had me wear a girdle for 2 weeks, 24/7. I was only allowed to take it off for 1 to 2 hours a day.

I figured the same concept would help after the hysterectomy. After all, they separate your abdominal wall from your organs, cutting all that connective tissue. I thought if I wore this spandex girdle panty, it would help my abdomen knit back together nice and tight, lol. The girdle panty I chose is very, very comfortable, not extremely tight. It's been 11 days, now, and my tummy is so nice and flat, with very little swelling left!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register