How Often Do You Go For An Annual After Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Often Do You Go For An Annual After Hysterectomy? How Often Do You Go For An Annual After Hysterectomy?

Unread 04-05-2005, 09:04 PM
How Often Do You Go For An Annual After Hysterectomy?

I was just wondering what most of you have been told about how often you must go for an annual exam after surgery? Is there some guideline written somewhere by the governing board for ob/gyn's?

I went for my 7 week exam yesterday and I am still not healed so he applied some silver nitrate. He said it was a very small area, but not to worry. He said some women never heal and that he has been called to the ER for women in their 70 's with bleeding. He said it is often an area of the vagina that has not healed from the hysterectomy! Great! Why didn't he tell me that before surgery?

I asked when I should come back to see him and he said that if you have regular paps every three to five years.

What has been the concensus on the board here at hystersisters? I have tried to read a lot of the threads concerning this issue, but do not get a true feel for what is the norm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 09:31 PM

I was told by my Dr. I had to return for an annual exam in one year. I have heard this from other women as well. Kathie
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:38 PM
How often for check-ups?

I was also told to keep up the yearly exam. I still have my cervix and ovaries, so that is the norm for me.

Cinderellen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2005, 06:17 AM

I was also told to come for an annual check up.
Unread 04-06-2005, 06:24 AM
paps

Here is a link to a Post op article in the hystersisters:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=97146

My SIL had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and after the second year's visit her gyn said she didn't need to come back again unless she was having troubles. But she is taking HRT so I assume she would need to check in with him for that.

My gyn said he still likes to have people come in yearly, but after a few years of normal paps doesn't do them since the ovaries and cervix were also removed. He just wants women to come in yearly because of the menopause thing too and for mammograms.

My insurance will only pay for them every 3 years I think is what I read.

If you go up to the purple menu bar and find Hystersister Quick Links, then go to post op articles you will find lots of good information.
I also went to the American Cancer Society web site and looked up information there.

Hope that helps.
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:05 AM

My DR told me no need to get paps anymore. I am to call for any problems though. I was told however to continue with my yearly chkup because she still needs to do breast exam, mamo, and the dreaded rectal!
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:43 AM

I find it amazing that we have all been given different guidelines to follow. My doctor almost seem to act as though I could come in for an annual if I wanted to, but if I did not want to then that was okay too.

I have a rectocele so I would think he would want to keep an eye on that problem. I have also had many irregular paps. My regular doc retired and this fellow took over his patients. The doc I had been going to was having me come in every three to six months for a pap. I agreed to have the cervix removed only because of the irregular paps, but if I should still come in because they were irregular then he should have told me that too. This fellow does not seem to provide the same careful care that my other doc did.
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:51 AM

My doctor told me yesterday to come in July for my yearly. There's certainly not much for her to check, but I still need the mammo, breast, and rectal. Besdies that I have to stay in touch for the HRT. She had previously told me she would do a PAP every other year. I guess for cancer for the vagina. (That's about all that's left.)
Cathy 54 years
TAH/BSO
54 yea
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:22 AM

My Dr also has me coming in for my annual in July, then I have to come in yearly for the breast/ rectal/ etc exam with a Pap every 3 years. I had a TVH, but kept my ovaries so no need to worry about HRT or anything on my end... He did mention that because I had had no problem Paps in the past that 3 years was going to be a good span. So am assuming that if you had any questionable Paps in the past, that that would determine how often you have to come in.
Unread 04-07-2005, 05:24 AM

My Dr told me to come back every 6 months for a Pap, probably due to consitantly abnomal paps before my hyst. Since I've been treated for granulation since my surgury I haven't had a regular visit yet although I have one sceduled for may. (just had a TOT on monday and he said he took care of the granulation problem while I was under.) So barring any further complications my may visit should be my first pap after the hyst. and a complete exam.
My dr said that even though the cervex is gone there is still the possiblilty- although rare- of getting vaginal cancer so the paps are still very important.

schell

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register