Some Post-Op Questions (TAH, ovary and OV-cyst removal) Someone Can Answer, Maybe? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Some Post-Op Questions (TAH, ovary and OV-cyst removal) Someone Can Answer, Maybe? Some Post-Op Questions (TAH, ovary and OV-cyst removal) Someone Can Answer, Maybe?

Unread 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Some Post-Op Questions (TAH, ovary and OV-cyst removal) Someone Can Answer, Maybe?

On the 17th I had my TAH and a dermoid ovarian cyst removed (they thought it was a football until they discovered it to be a basketball sized one :P) and they removed that ovary as well, so far I am healing and the pain is very slowly going away thanks to the excessive use of medications and determination. My doctor told me that moving around, getting up and walking as long as I held my pillow close to my incision was important, so I have been doing so. Anyway, I had a few questions about the incision itself and laughing, believe it or not.

The incision was stitched inside and my doctor said that these minimized the amount of scarring and recovery time, but there is a very large strip of tape covering them that I was told not to touch. On the 2nd I have to go and have it checked out to make sure it's healing well, does anyone have any idea what this 'checkup' will include? I am worrying myself sick over what to expect as far as whether my doctor will remove the tape, whether I will have to have an internal exam, etc. I'm totally a coward when it comes to these things and the hospital experience itself was rather a nightmare at times.

My other concern was that I'm really supposed to take it easy for the next six weeks and I really have been, but I find it difficult to cough, laugh, cry, pretty much anything which makes sense, as I have muscles stitched together - muscles that are used in everything, I've discovered, unfortunately! :P I try hard not to strain or do hardly anything that requires the use of these muscles which I think is the purpose and anything I do do always is done with the help of my new favorite pillow against the incision, but you know sometimes things are really funny and I have to laugh! (A good sign, I think) Am I going to hurt myself laughing? Is it okay if I sneeze and pull these muscles? I really hurts to use them and I'm not sure if it's 'okay' to use them occasionally or try to avoid using them atallcosts if you know what I mean. Please keep in mind that my incision is vertical from my navel.

For my last question, what in the WORLD do I do to make this awful thing stop itching? Is there something else I can focus on? I think itching often means healing, but my goodness and the tape over it only makes this worse. Sometimes it feels like there are bugs crawling all along it. Is this from nerves? When I hold the pillow to my abdomen, it feels like I am covered in huge itchy lumps, does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Thanks for your support and for the rest of you who are healing, good luck to you! Time is our friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Re: Some Post-Op Questions (TAH, ovary and OV-cyst removal) Someone Can Answer, Maybe

Take some Benadryl for the itching works great.

Get a belly binder instead of a pillow. AMAZING! I'm only 2 days post op and I am so thankful I got one. I cried laughed and coughed today with very little pain.

I'm not sure the check up appointment. Let me know so I know good luck! And don't worry!
Unread 10-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Some Post-Op Questions (TAH, ovary and OV-cyst removal) Someone Can Answer, Maybe

Walking is good for you and try to stand up straight while you are doing it. If they gave you a binder while you were in the hospital it may help give you support. You never realize how much we use our core for. Simple things like, coughing, sneezing and laughing until we have difficulty doing them. It'll get better, it does help to use a pillow pressed up against your stomach when do them.
Your 1st visit will probably be an incision check. To see how it's healing. The tape usually falls off on its own so don't worry about it.

Rest, eat well, drink plenty of water, walk and listen to your body. It generally lets you know when you've done too much.
Pamper the princess.
Happy Healing
Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2012, 08:57 PM

Thanks for your replies. <3 No, no binder but I have a great fuzzy orange pillow that goes everywhere with me. How long am I to use this pillow? The nurses at the hospital weren't very clear and it's begun to make me sore. Unfortunately, my doctors office is closed on the weekends so I wont be able to ask this until Monday.

Also, what can I expect for my first checkup (the first 2 week visit post-op)? I have stitches inside and tape covering the incision..Are they going to take off the tape? If so, ohmygosh I'm so scared!

And lastly, is it okay to shower with this tape or should I keep a towel to it to keep it dry? These answers were never made all that clear to me and the hospital didn't even bother to give me a care sheet upon my being discharged. The hospital experience was terrrrible.

Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register