seriously scared. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

seriously scared. seriously scared.

Unread 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM
seriously scared.

only a few more days - and nerves have hit me full force.

Im truly SCARED about surgery. its affecting me - how scared i am. not sleeping well... not focusing well at work. no appetitie... and i dont want my 9 year old out of my site.

i also feel a ridiculous need to have my house spotless...

have i completely lost my mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Re: seriously scared.

Nope, this is completely normal. I had nightmares in the few days before surgery even though I kept my fear mostly under control during the day. On the way to the OR, I literally told myself that I needed to trust my doctors and nurses and leave my fate in their hands. That is not an easy feat to do for someone who is a control freak.

Keeping busy is the right idea until the big day.
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM

{{hugs}} to you!
It's normal to feel that way I think.
You are having major surgery.
Try to think about how much better you'll feel afterwards!
Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM

You have NOT lost your mind!! What you are going through is VERY common and completely understandable. This is a major surgery, so anyone would be nervous.

I was the same as you. I couldn't sleep and when I did sleep, I would dream about the surgery and wake up in tears. The surgery filled my every thought and I could not focus on anything else.

I also went through a "nesting" stage. I wanted everything clean and just right...I almost think that it is just our brain's way of trying to make us focus on something else. Take advantage of that though...it will be awhile before you can do housework again!

Try not to worry. I know that is so much easier said than done. But try, that's all you can do. Try to do things to keep your mind off of it. If you have a hobby you enjoy, try spending some extra time doing that.

You are not alone, I promise and everything will be fine. Waiting is one of the hardest parts about this journey, so don't be hard on yourself when you have these feelings.

Wishing you on your upcoming surgery!! Sending you GREAT BIG
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty-blue View Post
only a few more days - and nerves have hit me full force.

Im truly SCARED about surgery. its affecting me - how scared i am. not sleeping well... not focusing well at work. no appetitie... and i dont want my 9 year old out of my site.

i also feel a ridiculous need to have my house spotless...

have i completely lost my mind?
I was a mess before my surgery one month ago. I couldn't sleep, I'd go into crying jags, I'd catastrophize about everything. Be honest with your pre-op team and anesthesiologist; they may give you a little something extra for your nerves before surgery. But coming out of surgery I have felt nothing but relief -- relief from pain, relief from emotional stress, relief from worry. When you are on the other side I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I had a wonderful caring doctor, extraordinarily competent surgical team, and no problems. I feel like I have a new lease on life.
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:06 PM

What you are feeling/doing is competely normal. In fact, it was just a handful of days ago that I & the sisters on the days surrounding mine were asking the same questions. Still feels weird knowing I'm now on the other side of this, healing & offering support to those ladies-in-waiting behind me.

It'll shock you, once you get here, how quickly it's over & you're on your beginning of your NEW journey!!

Hang in there. The wait really is the worst part. Like the others, I suggest staying busy, physically AND mentally, in whatever way works for you, personally. Blessings!

Angela
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:02 PM

I understand exactly how you feel I was there just under two weeks ago. I tried to keep my self busy cleaning the house, setting up an area where everything would be easy to reach after surgery. I also had difficulty sleeping. I believe it is all normal. You will feel better once you are on the other side.
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Rusty-Blue,

I know what you are going through. I am going through the same thing as you are. My hysterectomy date is December 13th. But try and look on the bright side. This is something that is helping me. I am going through some pain and bleeding at the moment. I had an ablation so I should not be having the pain and blood like I am having now. But just think, soon very soon it will be all over with and we won't have to go through worrying about if something is wrong, cause now we know who the real culprit is. We definitely won't have to deal with this pain anymore and having to deal with getting poked and prodded "to see what's going on with our baby factory".

Things will get better hun, keep the faith. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Hugs,
Leeanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register