I tried driving today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I tried driving today I tried driving today

Unread 04-05-2005, 09:45 PM
I tried driving today

My doctor told me no driving for 6 weeks but I couldn't resist. I found it hard to believe after 5 weeks I would have a problem. I drove for about 30 minutes and became very cramped. I could feel the pulling in my upper thighs all the way up to my midriff! I cam home and took a vicodin.

GBB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I tried driving today

Hi,

Yep, there's lots of reason why no driving. Can you imagine an accident and the seat belt cutting across your new incission? Can you imagine what an impact might do to the internal stitches?
You're alot braver than me. I didn't have the courage to drive the freeways until 8 weeks.

Thanks for posting, it's good to remind others.
Unread 04-05-2005, 10:44 PM
I tried driving today

I got stuck having to drive about half a mile last nite to pick up husband from work for his lunch break...(this is something we have done for him since we live in a very unsafe neighborhood at the moment, keeps him from walking in it). By the time i got there, I was so lightheaded. I am 5 weeks post op. I dont like driving after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I tried driving today

I drove for the first time today also. My doc gave me the go ahead at two weeks ???? It welt okay, I was a little sore when I got home, but I think I am just going to take it slow and limit my driving significantly.

WE just have to listen to our bodies. Isn't it funny how every doctor says different things about our restrictions?

Take care

angie
Unread 04-06-2005, 10:21 PM
I tried driving today

I drove yesterday for the first time out of pure necessity (had to take son to Dr.) and I'm at weeks 4 today. I put my Down Pillow over my tummy (I've tried fiber and Down pillows but the Down seems more plyable and molds better to my tummy as I sleep with it there too) and then the seatbelt around "us". It was only a few miles but was exhausted the rest of the day and still today. My Dr. says it's OK to drive IF you are completely off pain medication and absolutely having no pain, as pain slows down your response time. I will limit myself to little or no driving for now.
Unread 04-07-2005, 08:01 PM
I tried driving today

When I went for my 1 week post-op checkup my DR gave me the OK to drive short distances. I wasn't quite ready yet and since DH was still home with me I waited until this week (week 2) and got out and went to, you guessed it, Sonic. It was very liberating. I must admit I did feel alittle scared but I live in a small town and the traffic is very tame. I don't know if I'll ever give up my tummy pillow. It gives me a real sense of security.

Yes, it is interesting in the difference of Dr's. My DR had me take a bath while still in the hospital and told me to soak in the tub after going home to help with the aches and the bruising. I did one time and was very uncomfortable in the tub plus I was afraid of the infection thing AND it is hard getting up and down. I'm just taking showers. He will never know.
Unread 04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
I tried driving today

I drove for the first time this past Monday, which was my 2 week anniversary. I have only driven once since - today - to go to my post op appointment.

Doc gave ok to drive at 2 weeks. She said a good test was to sit in the drivers seat and then move my foot fast like I was hitting the brakes. If it didn't hurt, then it was ok to drive.

I don't have any problems driving, but I DO notice each and every bump on the road, and tend to be a bit more sore at the end of the day when I'm in the car.

Cathy
Unread 04-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I tried driving today

Hi Cathy - I drove yesterday for the first time and I drove again today, I have been in the car for several, several "get me out of the house" drives in the last week. It felt great. . . I just decided instead of being in the car like I was pre-op I would just go once or twice a day. . Listen to your body, it seems to know best.

angie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register