need some advice! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

need some advice! need some advice!

Unread 12-22-2001, 10:00 AM
need some advice!

I am 37 years old, I dont have any kids, nor have I ever wanted any. I have had laser surgery for precancerous cells on my cervix, and a laproscoptomy ( sp?) for a blocked tube in the past 10 years. Last week I had a vaginal ultrasound and they found 5 fibroid tumors in my uterous. I was supposed to have a follow up appt with the doctor yesterday, but she got called into deliver a baby at the last minute. I am rescheduled for Jan 2. But I have soooooo many questions and will go crazy if I have to wait 2 weeks to have them answered!! The nurse said 1 option was to do a hysterectomy and leave my ovaries, but wants me to get all the details from the Dr. Thank God I found this website!! Y'all have so much information and its really answered alot of my questions, but of course, created new ones as well!
I started a new job in October and I dont have alot of time built up for sick time. How many days can I expect to be at home and unable to work? Im a travel agent, so I sit at a desk all day in front of a computer. I realize each person is different for recovery time, but just an average would help. I cant be out for 6 weeks from work! I will have to postpone till later this year if that is the case. Im hoping for 10-14 days in bed. Is that realistic?
Any advice is appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2001, 10:15 AM
need some advice!

First of all, Jenny, your doctor is the best one to ask about this - - once you can get in to see her, that is!

Second - - my Dr. told me I can go back to my 20/hr/week job at 4 weeks. However, to play it safe, she wants me to come in for another check-up before that date. I agree with her. I plan to go back to work (for money reasons, of course, I understand where you're coming from. I have NO sick pay) at 4 weeks.

My boss understands and doesn't expect me to be there every single day if it's too much for me. She already told me she's talked to one of the others about possibly covering for me if it's necessary.

Just my luck, another part-time temp job opportunity came along and I have an interview for it next week. They want me to start Jan. 2 - - I said, basically, I'm sorry, but NO WAY - - and I may start at that one at 4 weeks, also. Work in the morning, rest at home in the afternoon, go to other job in the evening. SLEEP at night. That's the plan, and I hope it works.

But if it doesn't - - I'm going to have to be flexible. Can you be flexible about your job? I mean, is there room for some adjustment, like going back half-days instead of full 8-hour days? I think an 8-hour day all at once would wipe me out.

I've found that it helps to keep my feet up and plan to have a little stool in the office. Also, I've made it clear that any really physical work is OUT. Stairs and lifting would be very bad things at this point.

Is your boss approachable? Can you work out something less than full-time full-duty work for a while? I don't think we can expect to be up to our old work selves right away.

Good luck!
Unread 12-22-2001, 10:27 AM
need some advice!

Thanks for you fast reply! Im glad you understand about being out from work. My boss is a woman , so I think she will be understanding, but bottom line is, If I can get the time off from work, some of it will be without pay. 4 weeks? really? Wow. I hate to postpone it. Im getting married in Aug or Sept so Id like to be all well (mostly) before then. He has kids from a previous marriage so hes completly cool with this. Im lucky.
So I was reading some other posts and is it really as painful as they say? moving, rolling over, sneezing etc?
I want to have this done, but Im a baby when it comes to pain!
And why cant I drive for a month? ANY helpful hints are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2001, 10:30 AM
need some advice!

Jenny and welcome to hystersisters. My gyn. told me 6 weeks...however, I told my boss I'd be back after 4 weeks..but there was no way I could of gone back then...so ended up taking the entire 6 weeks off...going back to work 1/2 days on week 7.

BUT....then I've read other posts from women that went back earlier...so guess it just depends on the person...what type of surgery you have...if there are any complications (I had none), etc.

Please discuss this with your gyn. He/she's ultimately the one that can give you release to go back to work. Can you do some work from you home?????
Unread 12-22-2001, 10:45 AM
need some advice!

Its so nice to be able to talk with people who understand and have been through this!
I doubt my job could let me work from home. I work in a call center. The 9-11 events really hit the travel industry hard, so there are at least 100 people who could take over my job.
I cant lose my job over this. I was laid off for 6 weeks before I found this one, and feel really lucky it was only 6 weeks.
Another question, How long will I need to have someone stay with me? I live alone, my fiance is in England. My sister was going to come stay for the 1st week or so. Im very independent and HATE asking my friends to do things for me. I did decide I would hire a merry maid to come clean though.
I may have to postpone this until later this year. My Dr didnt seem to thing it was an urgent procedure. I guess I will bombard her with questions on Jan 2! ( poor Dr!) She better mark of 2 hours for my appointment!
Unread 12-22-2001, 02:59 PM
need some advice!

hi this is the first chat i have tried. i HAD A TAH 12-17-01 so I am now 5 days post op. My story is fibroids and heavy bleeding for
years. I personally could go back to a desk job today.. but ONLY if I were to sit there and not try to do the other things that always make you get up and walk. I had had 3 c-sections and recovered just as easily. The first 24 hours are quite rough. But if you get up and move as soon as you are allowed by the Dr. and hang in there you wiil feel better faster than if you try to just lay in bed and wait it out. I wish this info were given to women before they go in so they can be mentally prepared for it. There are also ways to avoid and lessen the pain you will have. The fatigue for me lasts much longer than the pain. I will fill you in on everything i have learned if you want to ask me.
Unread 12-22-2001, 03:38 PM
Hi Jenny!

sounds like your decision is a hard one. Each of us heal and have different experiences during and after our surgery. However you will have some of the same procedures that everyone goes through. I would talk to the and see if going back to work early is an option. God Bless and hope everthing works out great. Here are some cyber s and s to keep you company.
Unread 12-22-2001, 03:44 PM
need some advice!

Bev again, you will need someone to prepare meals and be there so that you won't decide that you can do it just this once. like
reaching for that book on the top shelf or getting the slipper that you kicked under the bed. Yes the sneezes sighs rolling and particularly coughing hurt. don't choke!!! There are ways to at least lessen it.
Unread 12-22-2001, 04:45 PM
need some advice!

Hi Jenny!

Just my humble opinion, but if I had just started a job and the surgery did not HAVE to be done now, then, under the circumstances you describe, I would postpone the surgery. 10 to 14 days in bed? No, under normal circumstances, you won't be on complete bedrest; you'll need to get up and walk around, often, every day.

True, it may turn out that you'll be fine to return to work in 4 weeks (I wouldn't dream of expecting to be able go back before that), but it may not. You can't know until after you've had the surgery. I took 7 weeks, the 8th week half-days only...and needed every minute of it. With a new job, I would not want to take that chance. Sitting is actually very hard on your tummy after this surgery. It's considered an 'activity' to be avoided at any length of time.

As far as having someone stay with you: I think you should be fine after the first couple of days home - the trick is to stock up on groceries before your surgery and make alot of freezeable meals for yourself so all you have to do is zap 'em once you're home. I got alot of soups, salads, canned fruit, juices, and made alot of casseroles, stews, etc. If you have a friend who will run to the store for you to replenish some of the more perishable staples, like fresh fruit, bread, etc., that would be helpful.

Your DR can advise about driving, but usually not until after you've had your surgery. Anesthesia and pain meds still travelling through your body that also tend to fog the brain keep you from being an attentive, alert, safe driver. The tenderness in your tummy keeps you from being a comfortable driver/rider.

I certainly hope all of these opinions are of some help; you are so right in being sure to ask your DR everything you can think of; I'm sure you already have a list started.

Best of luck to you; I know you will make the decisions that are right for you.
Unread 12-22-2001, 11:09 PM
need some advice!

Thanks for all the wonderful advice! Ive been reading all the different threads on this site. VERY useful information!
I really appreciate your help. I looked in my employee handbook- and we do have short term disability after 7 days, so that will help if I do have to do this soon.
I read the thread about everones hospital stays.....and cracked up about the pasty fight!! I would have fought her for it too!!
Those nurses should know better to come between an woman and her sweets!!
I will update you after i quiz my doctor on the 3rd.
Hope you all have a Happy Holiday! I will be reading every day- this is sooooooooo helpful!
Jenny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register