Scheduled TVH Freaking out, going nuts about recovery time! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freaking out, going nuts about recovery time! Freaking out, going nuts about recovery time!

Unread 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Freaking out, going nuts about recovery time!

OMG, I don't know how I am going to make it the next few weeks. How long does it take to get back to work after a TVH?
There are so many different answers, I am going crazy. I have a pre-op appointment on 1/21 when I can ask all these questions floating in my brain, but I can't wait til then AUGHHHHHHH!

Whew sorry about that, I'm not normally a drama queen, just very impatient and waiting to ask questions is driving me bonkers.

Will be so happy to get this all going!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Re: Freaking out, going nuts about recovery time!

I was the same way before my TVH....how long will I be in pain? In bed? Sore?

I guess it depends on your surgeon and your health. I was really good 3 days post-op and at 7 days post-op I was running around shopping and doing all my normal stuff (except baths/hot tub/sex). I never had a problem fitting back into my jeans the first time I tried 7 days post-op. My surgery was uncomplicated (no adhesions or any other hurdles). The worst part about the whole ordeal were the gas pains the day after surgery and even that was tolerable with demerol.

I had scheduled my surgery 11 days before the actual event and I sorta freaked out those days. Now I look back and I'm all....'why was I a nervous wreck?' The waiting is definitely tough! I hope you get your answers soon and that your surgery goes smoothly.
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:51 PM

I had TVH on December 7. I am returning to work tomorrow, exactly 4 weeks after surgery. I will only do 1/2 days this week so that I can ease back into the swing of things. I could probably do full days, but don't want to overdo it too soon. I get really tired about 3pm every day. I agree the gas pains and constipation were bad the first week. I recommend getting Gas-X and Colase before going to the hospital. I still have to take a Colase about every few days. I have had swelly belly pretty bad, especially toward the end of the day. I can't wear about half of my pants. I drove at 7 days post-op, just little trips. I've had light spotting and discharge ever since the surgery, hopefully that will go away soon. Other than that, uneventful recovery. You can expect to have some pains, but hopefully nothing too bad.

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:02 PM

There isn't any crystal ball that will tell you how long your recovery will take. What you'll get told at your preop appointment is a range and an estimate, not a specific answer. Your best bet is to be flexible and adaptable. If you make firm plans on the assumption that you'll be good to go by such and such date, well...that can backfire spectacularly.
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Freaking out, going nuts about recovery time!

well said myotis, im 4 weeks post op, i had no idea id b still resting most of the day & still on tylenol & advil, i think the best advice is to not expect anything, go hour by hour day by day, listen 2 ur body, be kind 2 urself, i have not been the best patient, my body has told me many of times im doing 2 much, i still haven't found the balance of bein up & being down but im still workn on it
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM

The best advice I can give you is go in with positive thoughts.
I stayed on top of my pain meds the first three days at home. They take care of you in the hospital, if that is a worry be sure to tell your dr pre-op and don't be afraid to speak up if you are hurting.
When you get to getting around better and "forgetting,<kinda> that you had major surgery less than 10 days go, Don't OVER DO IT!

Stay in your pajama's, keep walking around. if you start hurting a heating pad is a God Send!!

My advice and I read this and heeded most of the advice that I read, so I cannot take credit.....keep yourself busy before, if you are anxious, talk to your girlfriends, some men tend to get overwhelmed if we harp to much about surgery. But my goodness you are facing Major Surgery!!!

Oh yeah and my #1 tip, also from a fellow Hyster Sister......take a variety of goodies for your nurses. I did a litttle basket of a variety of dove chocolates so they had a choice. I kept it on my table, and EVERYONE who came in my room I told them to take some chocolate. They feel all over themselves when I needed something. That is the best tip I got, really helped me!

Best of luck to you

Calm the Princess in Training!!
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:21 PM

I wish I remembered that one about the goodies for the nurses. I had the sweetest little nurse. She was so great through my most vulnerable hours. I had a list of about 20 questions for my pre op appointment, but I am like you and need answers now so I got most of them answered ahead of time so by the time I went to the doctor it was like i already knew most of the answers.
My pre op questions were
1. can i climb stairs
2. How will the uterus be removed
3. How long will I be in hospital
4. Will there be photos taken of uterus upon removal
5. How long will surgery take
6. How long will it take for my ovaries to wake up and how long will I experience menopausal symptoms
7. Which stool softener is the best
8. Is abdominal binder necessary
9. What about Transderm scope patch so i won't be nauseous.

those are the ones i can remember asking.
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone. Your thoughts have helped me so much. Right now I am counting down the days and trying to get all the loose ends tied up.
Unread 01-07-2011, 12:16 AM

Make sure you have some food in the freezer in small servings. I see quite a few who post that they don't eat much at a time for a little while. I made meatloaf & a few other things that I could freeze.

There are so many variables on recovery time that only your Dr can tell. I was off work 2 weeks, but everything was just right. I have desk job with no lifting anyway, casual dress code so I could wear sweats, no cut in stone schedule, so I started off with short days. I stayed close to the rules of taking it easy & no lifting for the first 2 weeks, so I was ready to go back. Next 4 weeks, I still observed the no lifting or housework rules.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:40 PM

I had a TVH on 12/29.
This past Wednesday 1/5 I worked for about 2 hours, and Thursday I worked for about 3 and a half hours. My job is a pretty sedentary office job and I only work part time Mon.-Thurs. The dr. said I could try after 1 week if I wanted to. On Wed. I was pretty tired after my 2 hrs., on Thurs. I felt fine.
I drove on day....ammmmm, about 5 think? The dr. said as long as I wasn't on any heavy duty pain meds that I could drive when I thought I could drive.
Still have lifting restrictions, can't take baths, or have sex, cannot vacuum, or push around a shopping cart.
I feel really good though considering I'm on Day 9 post-op.
I never took anything besides prescription Ibuprofen and that was only for the first 2 days.

Be sure and follow your Drs. orders though and go by how you are feeling. This is just to give you an idea of how it was for me

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register