What's the best thing that's happened? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's the best thing that's happened? What's the best thing that's happened?

Unread 04-10-2005, 09:20 PM
What's the best thing that's happened?

the fact that I now take less pain medication (none, as a matter of fact) than I did for the six months prior to my surgery. I suffered so much, as a nurse I could not take my pain meds and go to work, so I just suffered through my shifts for the past six months. . . . . that is probably why I took my last pain pill 6 days after surgery. YEAH ME!

angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2005, 10:30 PM

Best things?

Discovering some wonderful people in my life who stepped in and helped out when I most needed it.

Having a table full of flowers to take home from the hospital and more flowers and cards which arrived after I came home -- I was surprised and gratified and felt very special.

Gaining a new appreciation for my body. It may be short and on the round side, but it heals itself like a hot ****!

My two little furkids, who never left my side.

The surge of joy the first time I swam lengths after my doctor allowed me back into the pool at two weeks post-op. Those first lengths felt like an affirmation that my body was still strong and that I would be returning to my normal life.

Lying on my tummy in the bath or for yoga stretches without feeling a hard lump filling my pelvis and sleeping through the night without hearing the call of nature.

Keep well,
IslandScribe
Unread 04-11-2005, 06:27 AM

Such great things to be thankful for!!! I am so glad for all of you!!
What am I the MOST thankful for? Hmmm. There are so many things that it's hard to pick just one.

-my relationship with Jesus
-waking up every day
-being able to laugh out loud
-selfless actions of others who cared for me
-wearing white shorts without worry
-no more cramps
-no more facial breakouts
-being "available" to my hubby anytime
-no more embarrassing trips to the pad aisle
(I never knew who I would see from church at Wal-Mart!!):eyes:

Keep being thankful for those blessings, girls. They come every day!! Thanks for posting!!

Ramona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Where to begin??
realising how much my DH and DSs love me and will do for me when I really need it
knowing how many good friends I have
realising that some things e.g. a dusty TV and ready meals don't mean I'm a bad mother!
knowing I never have to endure another period - a blessing after 20odd years of agony
people telling me how well I look (although this is usually followed by how awful I used to look!!)
being able to relax during sex for the first time ever (after 19 years together!!) knowing I will not feel pain
six months off work!
discovering the miracle that is the human body and how it can recover!
the joy of cuddles and stories on the couch instead of housework!
I like my scar - I wear it with pride!
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:27 PM

This is great! My turn now!

-Knowing that I *WILL* be there to watch my children grow up, and not feeling as if life was worthless.
-Waking up and feeling that light that keeps you going shining brightly in your heart.
-Laughing until I cry, and it being for something positive, not negative.
-Looking forward to the summer, and camping with the family, teaching the kids how to fish.
-Enjoying my life, and hoping that my DH will propose to me so that we can finally get married and make it legal after 9 years.

We had quit smoking too a while ago (It'll be almost 7 years for me soon ) and the money we save now is beyond belief. In Canada, a package of cigarettes is over 10 dollars. Just figuring out a month worth of savings was enough to fill the van with gas all month *grins*

A suggestion though. If you want to spend the money you saved on tampons (Or cigarettes ) you can always save up the money, or just keep tabs on how much you spend a month and do it that way, and before tax year is up, give the total amount to a charity of your choice. It saves you in tax credits, helps the charity out emensely, and makes you feel great about yourself! Everyone is happy!
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:37 PM

Okay-
The best part for me is that I can wear khakis to work on casual Friday and not have to leave office for the rest of the day (has happened to me more times than I can count!). No more keeping a change of clothes in my car, along with a stash of pads and tampons in the glove box (which once fell out during a traffic stop!), and no more planning a vacation or even a special make out session with my DH around my period. What does it all amount to? I AM SO HAPPY TO BE PERIOD FREE THAT I WOULD RUN RIGHT BACK TO THE HOSPITAL AGAIN FOR THIS SURGERY! My life will be marked less by the outbursts of my body, and more by the outbursts of my heart. That is worth everything to me.
Vanessa
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:39 PM

NO MORE PERIODSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Unread 04-11-2005, 03:01 PM
What Has Been The Best

Despite a long journey and complications post-operatively I truly believe there have been some of the "best" moments of my life worth celebrating since my LAVH.

~knowledge within my heart that I am stronger than I thought I was, and am able to overcome.

~renewed faith in God and belief in the little miracles of life.

~empowerment and education of health and wellness.

~being able to turn my experience around and help someone else. Tell the story...make a difference. Empathy.

~the way my little girl looks at me, her eyes always watching me walk this road. She says I am brave.

~the chance to take a true look at my life and go deeper to answer tough questions about what matters having gone through this.

~renewed appreciation for my life and my body.

~The gift of compassion and humility in Medicine. Evidenced by my surgeon and others who have cared for me.

~New beginnings that renewed strength and health can bring and the chance to fulfill dreams.

Blessings
Unread 04-11-2005, 03:04 PM

Moonglow......A Big WELL DONE on stopping smoking, keep up the good work girl.

The things I am thankful for are finding out just how much my family loves me.

No more prolapse and therefore no more feeling that big horrible lump hanging out of my vagina, also no more pain because my catheter would rub against the prolapse that was hanging out.

No more PERIODS or SMEAR tests!!!!! that has to be a big YIPPEEEEEEEE.

No more feelings of permanent PMS LOL. I feel like a weight has been lifted and I now feel so calm all the time LOL.

OMG and the best till last for me, has to be getting those sexual feelings back. I soooooooooo cannot wait to try out my new designer vagina LOL.

Unread 04-11-2005, 03:18 PM

It actually happend before, I found this site... don't know what I would have done without it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register