TAH coming -So much to do, so little time!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH coming -So much to do, so little time!! TAH coming -So much to do, so little time!!

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
TAH coming -So much to do, so little time!!

Hello Trish, I too am Dec. 11 and I have bitten all my nails away and am not sleeping. All I can think of is what I need to do before next Tuesday. I am lucky my Mom came and helped clean with me. So, my house is clean. Do you have family near to help you? You are not alone. Have you already had your Pre-Op? Mine is tomorrow. Good Luck Sweetie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 12:23 PM

Hello Short573. The group of us scheduled for Dec 11 is really gaining power!

I had to respond because:

Yesterday i bit a big nail off and and last night i couldn't sleep a wink.

I had my pre-op at the hospital this morning -- which went well -- i was very comfortable with the nursing staff i met with, but I won't see my surgeon til I get to the hospital on Tuesday, which is a little unsettling. I know I'll have a chat with her before surgery, I'm just hoping I remember everything I want to ask while I can.

Being at the hospital made this entire journey very very real, not that I've been in denial. Just seeing the people in lab coats and gurneys in the corridors. It felt good to know that I can do this, stay centered, and place my trust in the people whose hands I have to trust to make this work.

We're in this together, and I feel so incredibly grateful for all of you pre-op sisters of the 12/11 gang.

My lists of to-do keep getting longer, but eventually I'll have to close my notebook. Probably when I'm first sedated.

Love to all,

Siri
Unread 12-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied, I really wasn't expecting such a huge response. I am a long way away from you all, in Australia. That doesn't matter though, it's so reassuring to know that I'm not alone with the feelings I've been having. My upcoming op is taking up every minute of everyday at the moment and I too am having a lot of trouble sleeping. I had my pre-op appointment last week and a blood test yesterday. The pre-op went well, the nurses explained everything to me. The anaethetist said that there shouldn't be any problems because I am in good "condition". He also told me that the Gyne doing my surgery very rarely has problems with bleeding, so that was reassuring. I have my period at the moment and as usual it is very painful. It feels really strange knowing that this will be the last period I ever have. It may seem wierd but the main problem I am having at the moment is the recovery time. I am one of those people that likes to keep the household running smoothly and I hate feeling useless. At the same time, I don't like telling others what to do, so I hope everything goes ok. I would love for us all to keep chatting between now and the 11th, and then beond to keep up with how everyone is going. Love to you all.

Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 04:47 PM

Hello MissTrish66

take a deep breath, and exhale. Now do this five more times and exhale!

Isn't it just typical of us women to worry about cleaning, when we should be concentrating on ourselves. Pack lightly for hospital. Nighties or pyjamas - whichever you prefer. Bed socks, oversized, large knickers and some pads. Your toothbrush, toothpaste and tissues, lip balm, brush and comb, and a magazine. That's all you will need. In between trying to sleep, receiving medication, getting your temperature and blood pressure taken, visitors, meals, walking and having a shower, you won't have time to do much else.

It sounds like you have a great man who helps you a lot already. Do some shopping for prepared meals or ones that are easy to throw together. My husband can cook, but is hopeless when it comes to knowing what to prepare. Luckily I had filled the freezer with goodies, so could make suggestions that were easy for him to do. It's summer here, so you might just want to eat salad-based meals.

As for Christmas, you can organise a menu then ask all your guests to contribute by either preparing the table, serving meals or cleaning up afterwards or preparing/bringing meals for you all to enjoy. People will really appreciate being able to 'do' something for you. Just ask them. Sit back and enjoy. Honestly, you will only be two weeks out from surgery, so you have to sit tight and smile - like a princess. You can still play hostess, and have people look after you - just this once.

I'm only at 3 1/2 weeks, so can't tell you about sex, except to say that I'm already turning cross-eyed... lol I'm in Brisbane, so if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Pauline 41
TAH 12 November 2007

Farewell Fibroid Farm
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:12 PM

miss trish- you hit the nail on the head- SEX - will it be the same. do I keep the cervix and if so will it help? the idea of having my vagina reconstructed just doesnt sit right with me. on the flip side, neither does having to have it removed for cancer in the years to come...
I am also- as i say- a control freak. I like stuff where it goes. have already ask hubby if he can just keep it picked up where i can see it. ill be ok.
hopefully my kids 17 and 21 are used to me being this way and will help.
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Hey Girls!

I'm another December 11th (isn't that D day too?). I have nothing done and my house is a pigpen..... Ooops there goes a piggy running to hide under the bed now!

Seriously, I feel like I am in denial. I have one more doctor's appointment to discuss all of this tomorrow and I am second-guessing my decision bigtime. I keep saying "if I have surgery Mom, can you bring some extra pillows down".

I am worried about everything. Every aspect has been scrutinized 10,000 times. Whenever I'm about ready to back out, I realize how uncomfortable my stomach feels now days. I have a 12week size fibroid, and that appears to be big enough for me.

Let's meet up "on the other side" o.k. surg buddies?
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:49 PM

I was so worried about my TAH. I could hardly contain myself. My TAH was all I could think about for 3 weeks. I couldn't sleep didn't want to eat. A nervous wreck. Cried everyday. Right up to my surgery (cried in the pre-op room). I was so scared and nervous. Went back and forth on keeping the cervix or not. Wondered too about sex and am I making the right decision?? You all sound so normal to me! You are not crazy.

But, take heart and remember the waiting is the hardest part! I am sure you have heard that before from other sisters, but it really is. After I woke up in the castle all my worries were gone, I actually sighed in relief to know the hard part was over. My spirits were high because I knew it was a chance for me to improve my quality of life and not be in so much pain anymore. I am not saying that recovery is perfect and completely easy but I am much calmer in my recovery. Soon you will be on the post-op side getting support and talking about how worried you were before.
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Siri, The countdown is on another day down and 6 to go!! I totally agree on the closing the notebook when sedated. I feel like a crazy woman !! I have my pre-op tomorrow and I have my list of questions to ask. It is crazy that it is here. I never thought it would bed here. I still have a a busy 5 days ahead of me. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. talk to you soon!
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:57 AM

my surgery isnt until the 21st but with the week before filled with holiday events am thinking of trying to call hospital and set up pre-op stuff today. dont know if they will two weeks in advance - but at least knowing when i have to get things done would help.
has anyone else tried calling earlier than a week before?
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:06 AM

Hey Siri. everything went good. I found out that I will be in the Hospital till Friday. My blood pressure is high she said that is anxiety, nerves, and stress.
I hope you are feeling alright. I have hospital pre-op today. It really feels like it has hit me that My life will change for the better. I can't hardley wait to be pain free( after recovery that is). talk to you soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register