Recuperate in guest bed or sleep with hubby? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recuperate in guest bed or sleep with hubby? Recuperate in guest bed or sleep with hubby?

Unread 09-07-2001, 01:38 PM
Recuperate in guest bed or sleep with hubby?

Hello ladies ,

I am trying to decide whether to sleep in my double bed with DH or use the twin bed in the guest room when I get back from the hospital.

Is it uncomfortable to share the bed after a TAH? I'm not talking about sex here, I'm just imagining every little bump is going to hurt...

Any comments from you experienced es?

viola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2001, 01:55 PM

My husband moved across the hall temporarily after my surgery. Sleeping in your own bed would be preferable to the twin since turning over without lifting up will be easier in a bigger bed and you will be in your own bed for other day time resting. I'm sure he won't mind being displaced for a while. You will rest better without the worry of him accidently bumping you.
Unread 09-07-2001, 01:57 PM

Hi Viola, I slept in the bed with my DH after my surgery and didn't have any problems with his moving bothering or hurting me. In fact, it gave me comfort just knowing he was there.

That was my experience, now let's see what some of the others have to say!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2001, 02:02 PM

Holy a double bed you have got to be kidding I cannot even imagine we have a King size bed . My 7 year old has slept in a queen size since she was 4 and the little one in a double. Hubby and I are tall. He is 6 feet and I am 5 10. I can tell you that I would make hubby take the spare room. Your comfort is more important to him so take the best bed.

Have a great day

Unread 09-07-2001, 02:14 PM

I vote for hubby moving to guest room; at least for a few days. I know I sacked out on the couch for weeks when my husband had open heart....he didn't rest well in the hospital and in general was just miserable trying to get comfy.
Personally however, if I can't sleep well, which has been a gift of peri-menopause!...I run down to the couch and VOILA I'm alseep so that may be MY sick bed!
Unread 09-07-2001, 02:19 PM

My husband and I slept in the same queen sized bed for two days after coming home. He couldn't sleep because of all the pillows I used, one between my legs, one to support my belly, one at my side, etc. After two days, he moved in the guest room for a couple of weeks. He was more comfortable and so was I. I could spread out and put my pillows where I needed them. He kept the cell phone with him and we would talk and pretend we were together.

You'll need more than a twin bed to spread out a bit. Hope this helps.
Eileen
Unread 09-07-2001, 02:23 PM
I'm sleeping alone!

My surgery is September 12th, next Wednesday!!!ARG!!!I am having a tah/bso. Hubby helped me set up the guest room on the main floor,(our bedroom is upstairs, and stairs are out for awhile). I thought it would be more comfortable for me, and not so restless for him. Already filled the dresser down there with all my comfy jammies, socks, underwear, and curling iron in case I feel up to looking good!!! Good luck!
Susie
Unread 09-07-2001, 02:30 PM

Because we have a waterbed, I moved into the guest room and slept in the double bed for just over 2 weeks. DH was going to sleep in the double bed with me, but after he got me settled with the multiple pillows, there really wasn't any room for him!!!

Even when I was healed enough to move back into our king-sized waterbed, he was afraid of bumping me, but that didn't happen - I was still surrounded by multiple pillows.
Unread 09-07-2001, 02:52 PM
thank you!

Hi

Thank you all for your helpful advice! It hadn't occurred to me to kick hubby out of bed.

viola
Unread 09-07-2001, 03:09 PM

We have a queen sized bed and my husband has slept with me ever since I got home. But, I had a vaginal hyst, not abdominal, and so there is no incision that he could bump in the night.

Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable, and I'm sure your husband will go along with whatever you suggest.

Good luck to you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register