Painful bowel movements | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful bowel movements Painful bowel movements

Unread 08-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Painful bowel movements

I'm new here and am exactly four weeks post op today. I was extremely constipated after surgery and had to use stool softeners and finally a laxative to get things moving. Every time I have a bowel movement it has been like having labor pains before and during the bm. Excruciating pains. This past week it has definitely gotten better, but not pain free yet. Does anyone know why this is and is it normal? Also my spotting is worse immediately following a bm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Re: Painful bowel movements

Hi. I am 5 weeks 2 says post op today from vaginal hyst and right ovarian cyst removal. I didn't open my bowels until a wk after surgery even with constant liquid and tablet stool softners and 2 mini enemas. From other pelvic surgeries I have had I know my bowel always took a bit longer to get going but this time was a lot worse due to having severe hemorrhagic cystitis straight after surgery and having a catherta back in which caused more pain with the cystitis. My body couldn't relax and just passing tiny amounts of wind was difficult and extreamly painful.
I still have painfull gas and bowel movements even if my stools are soft. I put it down to anything moving through the bowel is pushing past all the cuts and stitches. I too had pink discharge with bowel movements and I think its from stools pushing past the vaginal wall as they are coming out and pushing the discharge out. I still have light brown discharge but it is mostly white but I notice I have more when having a bm. I also have a cyst on my left ovary that was found 3.5 weeks po and had doubled in size 1.5 weeks later. I'm not sure if this is causing extra pain but I think I would have the pain without the cyst.
I try to make sure I eat the right things to keep bm soft and use a mild stool softner if I have to especialy if using pain meds that can cause constipation.
I hope someone further along in their recovery can tell you when it gets better as I would like to know too. All I can say is it has happened with me to and as far as I know it is normal. Unless you can't have a bm for ages, the bleeding is bright and/or heavy or the pain in severe then I think it is normal recovery. But if in doubt always check with your dr, even if its ok a dr telling you that is more of a relief.
Good luck with your recovery.
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:35 AM

Thank you so much for your reply! It is good to know that what I'm experiencing isn't uncommon. The two women I talked to that have had hysterectomies said it was the easiest thing in the world and they had spotting for only a few days so it is worrying to not have such a smoothe recovery. Good luck with your recovery as well. Hopefully there will be more posts to let us know that this will pass soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2011, 11:43 PM

OMG I have not had much problem or pain passing bowel. But just know, I thought my ovary had slipped out. It hurts so much. Now I have a cramping pain inside my front.. And it all hurts so much.
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM

It sounds like you are having a similar type of pain that I was having. It felt like I was in labor at times. It started to get better at 3 weeks and even better by 4 weeks. I am now at 9 1/2 weeks post op and feel pretty good. I still have mild menstrual type cramps sometimes and still have a bit of spotting mainly after sex. Hang in there! It will get better. Early on I was doubtful if it ever would.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register