Hi! I'm a newbie. Total abdominal hysterectomy post-op day 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi! I'm a newbie. Total abdominal hysterectomy post-op day 3 Hi! I'm a newbie. Total abdominal hysterectomy post-op day 3

Unread 08-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Hi! I'm a newbie. Total abdominal hysterectomy post-op day 3

Hi girls! Can't believe the operation is over. I had a huge fibroid growing outside of my uterus the size of a small watermelon, a week later I was I the OR. Surgeon couldn't believe my symptoms were not more severe! this is all so new to me.. From diagnosis only 2 weeks a ago to post-op today, what a whirlwind! So glad for hyster sisters! The nurse in the hospital told me about it, so here I am! Nervous about recovery and don't want to over do it. The doc was able to save both ovaries, but I've heard that women still get hot flashes when just the uterus is removed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Re: Hi! I'm a newbie. Total abdominal hysterectomy post-op day 3

Day 3, eh? Are you home yet? I was released on Day 3 after my TAH. I took things really easy the first couple of weeks - went for lots of short walks, sat in the sun and read and sewed, worked at my computer on foggy or rainy days. I slept/napped when I felt like it, ate what and when I felt like it (mostly small, frequent snack-type meals the first week). I had a bit of soreness and twingey-ness, but no real pain. It was the best vacation I've had in a long time!

Removing your uterus tends to throw your hormones for a temporary loop, so you may find that for a while you get hot flashes, mood swings, etc. I didn't myself, but I was already post-menopausal.

Good luck and remember: you're on vacation from the rest of the world! :-)
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks so much for the feed back! Hope your are doing well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Wow, you've really been on the fast train! That happened to me in 96, for a different kind of problem. No time for questions to even occur to me, just get myself to the hospital at the end of the week; then amazement and a little shock at the state of my upper abdomen, and 11 days in the bed by the door, not the window or bathroom!

It might take some time for your ovaries to wake up and even things out. I kept my right one, but I don't know how to tell if it's working or not since I'm at or very near to menopause. I did keep having hot flashes which have since diminished, and I've had some (hem, hem) mood swings. You have more bits healing than just the incision (or incisions, depending on the type of surgery), and it does take time, so rest, rest, rest! and follow your Dr/Hosp instructions for post-op care. There's great info and support on this site, too. I've had a few minor setbacks (more pain and fatigue, basically), and they were all because I overdid things. It's really easy to overdo when you're feeling better, and it comes back to bite you later. So (and I need to take my own advice here) rest, rest, rest!
Also, my Dr told me to call if anything at all seemed wrong, and that's good advice too, as I learned firsthand! I hope your recovery is smooth, uneventful--and restful!
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Most of us are on an emotional roller coaster, I've hit the wall a few times, spent all day bawling for no good reason, just let it out it will make you feel better and sleep better, which surprised me.
It only took 3 weeks from diagnosis to surgery for me as well, not a lot of time to process it but I have been asking for this since 96 so I didn't have the shock factor that most women do. It was a relief in my case.
The ovaries and intestines get mad at being shoved around and the next few weeks they get revenge by refusing to work properly! Take your pain meds before the pain gets bad, it's easier to control if it doesn't get out of hand. The first few days I was home I wrote down the time and what I took because the narcotic was making me foggy.
This is your chance to be pampered and rest, take it!
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:26 AM

Thanks for all the great responses! Yes, my GI track seems a little slow to get moving, I think I would feel better if I could get things moving in there! Taking fluids, fiber and going to try miralax today. It's day four post op and was wondering if I should tapper my narcotics and try to just rely on 800 Motrin? Or should I keep taking the narcotics as prescribed? You're right, I don't want the pain to get out of control, but when does the pain start subsiding? It may also relieve my constipation if I decrease the narcotics? Also, how do we know if we are doing too much around the house for the first couple of weeks? I'm walking around, doing light dishes and showering. I have a 13 pound Italian greyhound who wants to sit on my lap, but I'm discouraging that, even with a pillow on my lap. She's such a little love!
Unread 08-04-2013, 06:52 AM

Hi there. Looks like our surgeries happened on the same day. I had a laparascopic procedure so I am not dealing with incision pain. I am taking miralax the last 2 days as recommended by my doctor. It works really well and doesn't cause any cramps or additional discomfort. I limit my Percocet to 1/day at bedtime because it allows me to sleep thru the night and I really would say I have discomfort/pressure, rather than pain. I am allergic to ibuprofen and naproxen so I can only take Tylenol (which doesn't do a whole lot) or the Percocet. I would ask your doctor about the miralax and if he says its okay, definitely try it. I think it will make you feel better and more like yourself. I have also read on this ite that prunes and or prune juice can be helpful....but go easy with those at first as you can get the runs. If you are in pain maybe try alternating the Motrin with the narcotic and see if you get adequate relief. Everyone says that pain slows your healing...so take care of yourself and reduce your pain. I know that each day you will feel better. Stay strong, drink lots of fluids and try to walk around frequently. I am with you sister! Marcy
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengusjeep View Post
...It's day four post op and was wondering if I should taper my narcotics and try to just rely on 800 Motrin? Or should I keep taking the narcotics as prescribed? You're right, I don't want the pain to get out of control, but when does the pain start subsiding? It may also relieve my constipation if I decrease the narcotics?...
It's really hard to say when the pain starts subsiding because this is so different from person to person. On day four I was already off narcotics and using ibuprofen (generic Motrin) for the pain. Fluffiji's idea about alternating the narcotics and the Motrin sounds like a good one to me - you want to stay ahead of the pain, but you're right that the narcotics are probably contributing to your constipation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengusjeep View Post
...Also, how do we know if we are doing too much around the house for the first couple of weeks? I'm walking around, doing light dishes and showering. I have a 13 pound Italian greyhound who wants to sit on my lap, but I'm discouraging that, even with a pillow on my lap. She's such a little love!
For the first couple of weeks, walking around and doing light dishes is about it. If you feel up to it, try walking a bit farther each day (yes, you can go outdoors). When you're not walking, sit upright for as long as you can rather than reclining. Sitting upright exercises your abdominal muscles.

You may find that you can start to cautiously expand your activities a bit come the third week. The cardinal rule is: if you start to do something and it hurts, STOP!

Re: your greyhound. She sounds really sweet! I found that I was okay with my 13 pound cat sitting in my lap, but I had to strongly discourage kneading. I'd guess that your greyhound won't attempt to knead? :-)
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:59 AM

I had a quick track to surgery as well, which was a good thing...just wanted to get it over with & start healing. My fibroid outside of my uterus was not as big, but had fingers which had attached to my nerves on the right side of my pelvic area & she took my right ovary...so most of my deep pain has been on my right side. Had my 1st BM on day 7...was starting to get worried...started on magnesium powder day 5 & it helped get things moving. I also had terrible gas in the hospital & continue to battle that @ home along with the swelly belly, but it is getting better. I have tapered off of my pain meds because of constipation, but do take 1/4 percoset & 1/2 ibuprofin in morning & 1/2 percoset & 1/2 ibuprofin in evening to sleep well @ night. I over did it a couple of days ago & have been watching it the last few days. My advice is don't over do, REST, take your pain meds at least @ bed time, NAP, & try to have regular BMs. I am so thankful for this forum & have found it very helpful! Good luck!
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:02 AM

Forgot to tell you about my 15 pound cat jumping in my lap day 8...kind of a shock to say the least. Enjoy your lap dog. I keep a pillow with a hollow spot in it on my belly when lying around...that way if she jumps up on me it doesn't hurt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register