Hysterectomy has been suggested.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy has been suggested.. Hysterectomy has been suggested..

Unread 02-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Hysterectomy has been suggested..

I'm new to all of this so please bear with me. My Dr. has suggested a Hysterectomy (and removing the right ovary) due to bleeding problems. I also have a dermoid tumor on the right ovary that has to come out. She says I have fibroids on my uterus, but I'm thinking I can live with the fibroids causing havoc with my cycle, just remove the ovary with the tumor. I am 45 years old with 2 children and not wanting any more. I'm scared of the problems that may occur after a hysterectomy. I am getting a second opinion, but was wondering if anyone can give me info on living with fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2004, 01:21 PM

As long as the fibroids aren't causing bothersome symptoms you can co-exist forever with them. Have you tried medication to control the bleeding?

What problems are you afraid of? Complications or problems really aren't that common. I think you should discuss your particular concerns with your doctor for reassurance, and getting a second opinion is a great idea.

I put up with huge fibroids for years but the symptoms became progressively worse , and in my case they were blocking my ureter which will entually cause permanent kidney damage, so I opted for a TAH. I've never had a problem in 4 years post op.
Unread 02-06-2004, 02:16 PM

I had fibroids and emdometriosis. I didn't know how bad they made me feel until there were GONE! I had TAH last July. Wish I had done it 5 years ago. Good luck with your decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2004, 12:12 PM

Hi alijar and welcome! You're smart to look into all your options for dealing with the fibroids before rushing into a hysterectomy. While it's true that most women who have a hysterectomy sail right through the surgery and recovery and never look back, there can be complications, both at the time of surgery and in the long term afterwards, and it's important to weigh the risk of these complications against the benefit that you might get from having the surgery.

I think your idea about just removing the ovary and dermoid and leaving the uterus is definitely worth exploring. And kudos to you for getting a second opinion... don't hesitate to get even a third or fourth, as many as you need until you feel totally comfortable with the recommendations you get for treatment.

To help in your decision making, here are some links with more information about fibroids, living with them and treating them:

http://www.womenshealthlondon.org.uk...ds/living.html

http://www.luhs.org/news/pubs/ll/03_june/index5.htm

http://www.dcmilitary.com/navy/journ...h/24827-1.html

http://www.goodsamdayton.com/media/v3i2_tumors.pdf

http://www.caromont.org/1749.cfm

Also, if you click on 'resources' up at the top of this page, it will take you to our Resources forum... there is tons of information in there on fibroids and their treatments.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. We're here to support you in any way we can.
s,
-Linda
Unread 02-07-2004, 02:35 PM

Hi Alijar,

(((Linda))) has given you some great advice and she is right, there is a lot of information here about treatments for fibroids.

You don't mention how many fibroids you have or how large your uterus is, but you do mention bleeding problems. I'm guessing these are due to the fibroids, not the ovarian cyst. If you are hoping to alleviate the bleeding problems and planning to have surgery for your ovary, is myomectomy an option for you?

At age 45 I had a laparoscopic myomectomy to have 2 fibroids removed. My uterus was 14 to 16 week size. Although it turned out that I had severe endometriosis too and later decided to have a hyst, a myomectomy might be a good option for you - especially if you're going to have surgery anyway. Just something to consider and discuss with your gyn.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing and what you decide about treatment.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register