at the hospital at WHAT time! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

at the hospital at WHAT time! at the hospital at WHAT time!

Unread 12-16-2004, 10:13 PM
at the hospital at WHAT time!

Ok ladies feel free to fall about laughing....gently those of you who are still recovering.......I am so not a morning person.

I have to drag myself out of bed at 7am each day to get DH off to school. Can you guess what time I have to be at the hospital for my hyst? 6:30AM.....are these people insane....is the doctor even going to be concious(sp) at that time of the morning? My godness.

Like I know I wont sleep well the night before my op but 6:30 that means I will need to be up about 4:30 to be showered and at the hospital which is about 40 minutes away.

As I said to my DH I sincerely hope I am first up for surgery if I have to be there that early. I normally get out of bed and have a coffee within five minutes otherwise it is dangerous to be around me so not being able to have my caffeine fix plus having to get up early probably wont make for a pleasantly tempered soon to be princess. The sooner they knock me out the better for all involved. Oh well yes it is really early in the morning but I suppose the sooner I get there the sooner it is done. Sorry but had to vent or I was going to explode

Thanks ladies
Sasha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 10:28 PM

Hi Sasha,
I know what you mean about early surgeries, I had to be at the hospital at 6am and it's 45 minutes drive , the hospital gave me the option of going in the night before don't know if this might be an option for you??? I've had quite a few surgeries and normally an early arrival time means your on the morning theatre list , which imho is much better than later in the day, I actually was on the afternoon list when I had my Gall bladder removed, the Dr got held up on the previous surgeries and had to send me home , not much fun when I hadn't eaten for nearly 24 hours, already had my pre op meds and ready wearing my TED stockings,so morning surgery does have it's benefits.
You probably won't have much trouble getting up early , my mind is always abit busy the night before and I don't get much sleep.
Goodluck with your surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery...you'll be able to enjoy lots of sleep ins when you recovering
Unread 12-16-2004, 10:34 PM

Hi!

Yeah, they are serious. I was supposed to be at the hospital at 6:20 am. I'm not a morning person either. I'm always up late at night and basically sleep though the morning.

The hospital told me 6:20; the doctor's office told me 7:20 and I arrived at 7:30.

Actually my surgery was originally scheduled for 3:00pm. In a way I was glad to have the time moved up so I wouldn't have to starve half the day and I knew the doc and nurses would be fresh and rested for my surgery.

God Bless.
Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2004, 10:37 PM

Thanks Wendygai,

I wish going into the hospital the night before was an option. I am in Perth, Western Australia and over here this operation would be done as a day surgery if they could get away with it.

I agree that going in early in the morning points to me being on the morning surgical list. I think I will actually be first up for the day as I have a bleeding disorder and they are going to be taking things very slow and cautiously as they don't want me to start to bleed on them because they might not be able to stop it.

I just know that even WITH my morning coffee I am not very sociable in the morning and I can't imagine I will be better with stress and no food added to the equation not to mention mind numbing (I hope) fear.

After putting up with pain and bleeding and cramping etc for 6 years I am actually looking forward to whatever relief I get after having this surgery done. I never thought I would say that I am looking forward to any surgery and all that goes with it but I am.

Thanks for your reply and reassuring words Wendygai
Sasha
Unread 12-16-2004, 10:41 PM

Wow Joanne
Well I take my hat off to you. I would have been a bit nervous about showing up at the hospital at all with different times flying around like that. Surely that would have added to the stress levels already present for having any surgery. Once again thanks for the kind words.

Sasha
Unread 12-16-2004, 10:43 PM

Hi Sasha,

you're not alone. Mornings are definitely not my time...and I'm scheduled to be at the hospital at 6:30 as well. I had a fit when the dr. told me. I asked 'are you gonna be there that early?' his reply "are you crazy? I'll still be home sleeping. I'll probably get there about 7:30, 8 o'clock."

I appreciate his sense of humor, but from what I hear it isn't far off the mark. I think they get us in there an hour & a 1/2 or so before surgery time to 'prep' us. Y'know, to undress, shave and drug ya up.

But the bright side is-you will be done early, instead of having surgery in the afternoon, and going all day w/out eating.

Still, there's just no end to he sacrifices we make is there? :-)

When is your date? I got less than a week to go.
Be blessed.
Jhe
Unread 12-16-2004, 10:50 PM

Hey Jhe

Only a week to go...you are sooo lucky. I only found out on the 14th (December) that I am going in on the 28th of January 2005 so I am looking at nearly 5 more long weeks. They wanted to do it in only 2 weeks (28th Dec) but with christmas and DS's birthday 5th of Jan and close friends wedding 16th of Jan I HAD to say end of Jan please. Not that I wanted to but I also had to get my house organised.

My DH is going to have to take over everything once I am in hospital including the first day back at school for 2 of my DS's and first ever day at school for my 3rd DS. I am not happy to be missing that.

I have to admit I am looking forward to the DH learning what being a mother is all about . I don't think I will ever hear another word about what does and doesn't get done around the house once he has tried to do it for a few weeks.

Thanks for the blessing..I will take all that I can get
Sasha
Unread 12-16-2004, 11:26 PM

LOL, this is a stress point I can relate to! I'm a night owl and I normally get up between 10am and noon. I know that sounds awful but I stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning. Guess when I have to be at the hospital? 5:30am! I was barely aware that there was a 5:30am! LOL Of course, after 3 days of clear liquids I'll be so crabby it won't matter what time it is. ;-)
Unread 12-16-2004, 11:32 PM

OK you win,

My deepest sympathies go out to you. ROFL. 5:30am yuck. And 3 days of liquid diet well that would make anyone a bit agro wouldn't it? Good luck I hope all goes well. I haven't heard if I have to do any bowel prep or liquid diet stuff yet I will find out on the 24th of Jan(hyst on 28th Jan).

Take care
Sasha
Unread 12-16-2004, 11:34 PM

I was in your same boat. Both DH & I are evening/night people, but somehow we dragged ourselves out of bed to get me to the hospital at 6:30. Believe me, they find stuff for you to do during that time! There's the pre-op paperwork, prepping, getting you into the gown, talking to nursing staff, anesthesiologist, your doctor, and getting to the right place at the right time.

I was glad to be the first patient of the day. A few years ago, DH was supposed to have an operation on his hand at 2:00 pm, but the doctor was so busy with previous operations and emergencies that he didn't go in until 9:30 that evening!! Since it was on an outpatient basis, I had to drive a drugged up 6-foot-2-inch guy home at midnight in the rain.

Look on the bright side: since hospitals make people nervous (especially people planning on staying there a day or two), it will be less time to hang around letting your imagination wander! Not only that, everyone will be at their freshest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register