TAH/BSO Lifting Restrictions- | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO Lifting Restrictions- TAH/BSO Lifting Restrictions-

Unread 05-03-2010, 12:54 PM
TAH/BSO Lifting Restrictions-

10th day post-op today and still very tired. Tried to do a few light household chores today and now have lower abdomenal pain. The most I lifted was a pile of clean clothes- maybe 10 pounds. (it was only a lift off the bed, not the floor)

Looking for some guidance. What is reasonable to lift during post-op? I'm tired of sitting around when there is so much little stuff I can do around the house.

Also, any advice on bending over?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Re: TAH/BSO Lifting Restrictions-

When I went in 4 1/2 weeks the doctor told me 10 to 15 pds. until 6 weeks. So I wouldn't do more than that right now. I know it's hard not to do anything I went nuts. If I picked up anything or did to much my belly hurt and I had to rest. There isn't much to do right now.
Take it easy and you'll get over it. I'm 7 weeks today and I'm so thrilled to feel better and I'm able to do something now. I still get tired, but I'm not hurting after doing that.
My mom and dh still watch over me. My dh said I will be hurting later. I told him it's not that it's that I get so tired.

Take it easy. Walk that helps.
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM

My dr told me not to pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I could fold clothes if they were put on couch. Use that finger and point to what you want others to do. I am 6 weeks post op tomorrow and dr let me come back to work today. Be careful bending over. That made me really sore. I have a son getting married the end of this month so I had extra incentive to only do what dr told me to do. He told me no house work until week 6. Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Decisions2Make -

Sounds like you still might be overdoing it.

CHeck out the Hysterectomy Checkpoints related to activities.

Also check with your Dr. about lifting restrictions I had them for several weeks.

G.
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM

I had TAH/BSO on Apr 6 and feel I am makig a good recovery. However, because I feel well, I keep pushing myself and then end up with a swollen sore belly. My main problem is bending. I am naturally a very flexible person and keep forgetting that I can't just bend over and pick stuff up or poke around in the garden. I am lying down tonight with a heating pad because I couldnt help myself this afternoon and got down on all fours to pull up weeds.
So don't over do it! My sister just yelled at me in an e-mail to stop being "busy" and start to take care of myself!

I see my surgeon on Wednesday and I am ging to ask him what he thinks I should be doing. They really didnt tell me much when I was discharged for the hospital
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM

I found another way to "bend over" ... I squat, very very slowly LOL. No, really, I do. I learned this when I was 14/15yrs old and had to have several abdominal surgeries that were extensive. I slowly lower myself down, putting my feet about sholder width apart, feet pointed out (almost like ballet) squatting to reach something, then put my hand on something (counter, chair, etc.) and slowly raise myself back up. HTH and TRY to behave!!
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM

I had my TAH/BSO 6 weeks ago and have had no restrictions for the last three weeks. At my three week check up my dr told me that my incision on my belly was healed as well as my vaginal cuff. For the first two weeks I depended a lot on my binder that was sent home with me from the hospital and it really helped. Try not to push yourself and if it hurts dont do it.
Best wishes for a swift recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register