Bladder Pressure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Pressure Bladder Pressure

Unread 03-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Bladder Pressure

I've posted before on this site compaining of my heavy periods and not knowing whether to go the route of a hysterectomy.

I've since been diagnosed with an enlarged (12-16 week preg. sized) mishaped uterus with multiple fibroids.

Still have the heavy bleeding which lasts a good two full days of watching the clock while I'm out so I can get home before an accident happens. I even usually wake up one of those mornings and having to hold my pad to myself as I get out of bed because the clots are ready to fall out of me. I ask you, is that normal?

Now I'm noticing a few days before my period starts, that I feel pressure on my bladder and an urge to urinate, but the output isn't as much as the pressure feels. This goes on until about the 4th to 5th day of my period.

I'm 49, still having regular periods without any real hint of menopause in sight. I may have an occasional night sweat, but it is rare.

My yearly gyne visit is in three weeks and I'm considering asking my doctor about the uterine artery embolization; but I've read up on that and that is not without risks either. My doctor is aware of my enlarged uterus and the fibroids, but will not push me to have a hysterectomy...says it's totally up to me.

I'm so torn as to what to do. I know none of you can tell me what to do, but I kind of wonder and ask any of you who are willing to tell me..."what broke the camel's back" in your cases to make you finally decide to have the hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Bladder Pressure

Hi Diane,

I've had fibroids since I was 19 but the real trouble started at age 46. I hoped for menopause while trying different options. Meanwhile, symtoms were getting worse. Leaving work with a towel around me...staying home...watching life go on without me...eating motrin like candy.

When I reached age 55, I was still having regular periods, with only 7 good days a month of not bleeding. My first grandchild was born. As I held him, I was bleeding through my super heavy kotex...I had to give him back and run to the toilet. That was the straw that broke this camel's back.

My hubby and I had lived with my gyn problems for nearly 10 years. I wanted to join the living again, to play with my grandchild, to go on vacation, to have sex any time! I didn't want my adult kids to see me, "poor mom" giving excuses anymore for not taking care of business. I was not being a good example. I was not being a good enough wife, mother or grandmother. I certainly was not being fair to myself.

I went out and found a new doctor. Her attitude was wonderful. She said I probably had adenomyosis and that menopause would not fix that totally. I felt safe in her care.

After 10 years of suffering, my desire for a better quality of life over powered my fear of surgery. I'd always been afraid, but once I decided, a great calmness came over me. A hysterectomy is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I wish I had done this 10 years ago. I feel so free.

Best wishes,
Maralyn
Unread 03-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Bladder Pressure

Hi Diane,

I was 46 at the time I was diagnosed with two large fibroids. I agree with Maralyn. It also came down to my "quality of life". I had pelvic pressure 24/7, bladder incontinence and my periods were starting to get heavier. That in itself is scary!! After my experience, I have complete respect for heavy-flow ladies!!

I also had a "window of opportunity" to have a less invasive hyst. I got two opinions and both Drs agreed that if I had waited and "observed" my fibroids, they would have continued to grow and I would not have been a candidate for a LSH.

As you said, no one can tell you what to do. A hyst for me was a very difficult decision. Am I glad I did it??? Yes. I have my health back. No more fibroids, no more periods, no more b.c. Not running my life around fibroids and periods is good.

I suggest you check on the UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization) or possibly a myomectomy, removal of the fiborids only. In my opinion, both are good options.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Bladder Pressure

Dear Diane:

Welcome to HysterSisters Here is a link to the Fibroids Section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26 and you can also get good info at www.thefibroidplace.com

85% of hysterectomies are done for quality of life issues, not to SAVE a life. Only YOU must live with your pre-op symptoims AND your post-op results, good or bad.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register