Help, question about bleeding 3wks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help, question about bleeding 3wks post-op Help, question about bleeding 3wks post-op

Unread 10-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Help, question about bleeding 3wks post-op

Hi there, I am new here and have a question about how long is it normal to bleed after cervix removal surgery. (A ab supracervical hyst was done in 2004.)

3 weeks ago the cervix was removed transvaginally.

There is more to the medical issues but I am wondering how long does the bright red bleeding usually continue under "normal" circumstances?

Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2007, 09:08 AM

I did not have the same surgery as you but I wanted to help. My doctor said if it was enough to fill a pad an hour than it is time to go to the ER. I am 5 weeks post op and still have red to pink spotting. I am not sure how heavy yours is. If you are concerned you should call your doctor and ask what is normal for this type of surgery. Good Luck.

Janelle
Unread 10-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks so much, Janelle. Knowing that bleeding after 5 weeks still occurs provides some sort of a baseline for me.

My doctor was going to do a pelvic at the 2 week check since I was still bleeding then, but they decided to postpone it since my pelvis has been recently irradiated (from another type of cancer). They did not want a pelvic exam that soon to cause more damage to the cervix surgery site.

They said then that if I was still bleeding after another week that it would have to be done no matter what to see what's going on. That I should not have been bleeding at 2 weeks, and under no circumstances should it be bright red bleeding at 2 weeks post...so I wanted to know a baseline of at least what was normal bleeding in others (those without irradiated tissue). They said a pelvic would not be done, period, if I stopped bleeding by week 3. I do not want to have a needless pelvic and risk further damage needlessly.

The bleeding is off and on, sometimes very light, then at times it's continual fast dripping.

Thank you so much for your help.

boots

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register