LAVH How long do you bleed? Fistula? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long do you bleed? Fistula? How long do you bleed? Fistula?

Unread 11-03-2012, 08:05 AM
How long do you bleed? Fistula?

I know there's no real answer b/c it seems like some don't bleed and some bleed for what seems like forever. But on average...how long?

I had my LAVH (then abdominal surgery to repair bladder) on Oct 23 so its been almost 2 weeks. I'm still bleeding at the same rate as I was from day one. Nothing major, just a little here and there. The problem is that I still have the catheter so its hard to get a good "seal" with my pad and leaking is an issue, if that makes sense.

Now I change my pad regularly and its very little but always brown, sometimes a little red. I'm so nervous that I will develop a fistula and I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to be bleeding. As it is now I will sometimes if I'm laying down for a while then stand up I will leak some out. My concern is a fistula. Like, what if I'm leaking urine through my vagina and its a small leak and standing up makes the blood/urine come out.

Anyone have a fistula? Is it something where if you had one you KNOW you have one or is it something more subtle? I'm so very nervous about my bladder and potential for fistula. I lay there at night and if I feel anything unusual I think for sure its a fistula. I go on Tuesday to the urologist and he will tell me but until then I'm a nervous wreck. This is like that week leading up to surgery...nothing to do but sit and wait.

Say a little prayer my bladder has healed well and there is no fistula and I can get rid of this catheter! My recovery is good, just sore and I feel fine...except I have to carry my pee around in a bag. Very demoralizing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarStella View Post
I know there's no real answer b/c it seems like some don't bleed and some bleed for what seems like forever. But on average...how long?

I had my LAVH (then abdominal surgery to repair bladder) on Oct 23 so its been almost 2 weeks. I'm still bleeding at the same rate as I was from day one. Nothing major, just a little here and there. The problem is that I still have the catheter so its hard to get a good "seal" with my pad and leaking is an issue, if that makes sense.

Now I change my pad regularly and its very little but always brown, sometimes a little red. I'm so nervous that I will develop a fistula and I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to be bleeding. As it is now I will sometimes if I'm laying down for a while then stand up I will leak some out. My concern is a fistula. Like, what if I'm leaking urine through my vagina and its a small leak and standing up makes the blood/urine come out.

Anyone have a fistula? Is it something where if you had one you KNOW you have one or is it something more subtle? I'm so very nervous about my bladder and potential for fistula. I lay there at night and if I feel anything unusual I think for sure its a fistula. I go on Tuesday to the urologist and he will tell me but until then I'm a nervous wreck. This is like that week leading up to surgery...nothing to do but sit and wait.

Say a little prayer my bladder has healed well and there is no fistula and I can get rid of this catheter! My recovery is good, just sore and I feel fine...except I have to carry my pee around in a bag. Very demoralizing.
Hi,
I had my LAVH just over 3 weeks ago and have had a browny/pinky discharge since day one, I use panty liners and have to change them almost every two hours. Sometimes I can feel it leaking out. Anyways I was worried about it and thought It had to be something with my bladder leaking. But I had my first post op appointment few days ago and my doctor examined me and did a little test inside and assured me that it's not my bladder, that there is no sign of urine anywhere in my vagina, which was a great relief. He said all this discharge is quite normal but the reason for such a big amount in my case is because I had an abscess in my pelvis and its slowly coming out of me. But he said by my next appointment at 6 weeks it will be gone.
You should speak to your doctor and ask him to examine you to rule it out, do you have a scheduled appointment yet?
X
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Re: How long do you bleed? Fistula?

I've seen him once in the ER for a suspected kidney infection but there was no talk of it then. I see the urologist Tuesday and my OB the following Tuesday. I just have to wait until then. I'm scared though. One complication is enough. I'm not sure I can handle a second surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2012, 10:32 AM

I started having discharge and spotting about 1wk after surgery and it just seems to be constant not alot but mine too is light in color sometimes almost orange? I also have catheter so i worry about leaking urine as well, i am getting tired of carrying my " pee bag " around too!! They gave me leg bag too but have not used it for fear of changing and risking chance of infection, I have appt Monday morn with dr and then some test to see how bladder healing ( hopefully get cath out : ) I have not left my house since i came home from hospital on 10/24 I feel like i am healing alright but this catheter kinda sucks!!! I use regular pads, the pantiliners seem to shift because of my little buddy catheter hose so regular pads and change them every couple hours need to get rid of them anyway : ) So i guess discharge normal as long as no odor? Best wishes on recovery and with " pee bag " recipients too!!!
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Last night I dreamed I was having sex with my husband and the peed on him through my vagina. He was totally disgusted and said, "Did you really just pee on me?!"

Ugh. Is it Tuesday yet?
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarStella View Post
Last night I dreamed I was having sex with my husband and the peed on him through my vagina. He was totally disgusted and said, "Did you really just pee on me?!"

Ugh. Is it Tuesday yet?
LOL: ) gotta love the crazy dreams we have huh?
Haha i jst got off the phone with advice nurse my concern was my pee being a very light yellow, told her that i was drinking 3 ltrs water a day ( she said 3 ltrs? that's alot of water hahaha i was probly the funny not important call for her today! Kinda was silly now that it's done, oh well hahaha!! Good luck to u on Tuesday!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register