Problems after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Problems after surgery Problems after surgery

Unread 11-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Problems after surgery

I am 2 weeks post op today and I find I am having trouble having a BM first thing of the day? I feel it is there but it just doesn't want to pass. After some time I finally pass it or I have been and it isn't hard like I am constipated but it is just getting it going. Is this normal? Also when I wake up in the morning to have my first pee I don't feel like I have gone enough to empty myself but that is all that passes, is this normal and i usually go several times throughout the day but not alot at a time. I still have pain in my stomach area so it is hard to tell whether I am bloated or what. I only take a couple of ibuporfen when I go to bed at night for pain because I know pain medication can constipate you and I want everything to get moving on a normal cycle. Anyone got any insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Problems after surgery

Hi,
I had my TVH and a TVT on Sept 28. I was so constipated I didn't know what to do. The pain medication made things worse. I bought some fibre pills, I take 2 in the morning with my coffee. I also take a softener at bedtime. I was always an "in and out" girl. Now I have to hang around awhile, but it is getting a lot better. I got real scared the first few weeks, every time I would push, my rectum and vagina would bulge. I was scared that I was gong to have a prolapse. I have been eating more fruit and whole grains, and drinking lots of water. Hopefully I will be able to cut out the softener soon. I understand that women have more intestine than men because it has to go around our uterus, I think it just takes time for everything to settle into place. The first 3-4 weeks were the worst. Try to get some rest, you will start to feel like your old self soon.
Unread 11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Problems after surgery

prune juice worked great for me, a glass at night before bed and a glass in the morning, also colace which is recommended by doc and also on this site, helps soften the stool. One great advice that worked for me was putting my feet up on a stool it helped move the bowel easier without pushing to get it out. I still use that trick when I feel constipated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Problems after surgery

I had my hist one day before you and yes, even though it is soft it does not want to start on it's own. I use glycerin suppositories. Pop one in the morning and it gets the bowels moving. It is better for you than taking laxitives. The pee thing is wierd too. I am thrilled my bladder is working on its own. Had a catheter at home for a week. I'm sure the pressure will subside with time.

Your body will get back to normal eventually. It was highly invaded and it takes time to settle down. Rest, water, high fiber foods and more rest. Have faith in your body and your intuition.
Unread 11-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Problems after surgery

I'm also almost two weeks post op TAH. I've tried a few different things for constipation and have been doing well ever since. Drinking a lot of water, pineapple juice and tea helps for urination and constipation. Make sure you are eating enough to prompt a bm and suprisingly exercise, not strenuous, but a little exercise like walking helps the most. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Problems after surgery

Thanks to all who offered advice, I guess I am not one of those that can sit around very easily but I am slowly learning my limits after this surgery. I will heed all advice and greatly accept it.

Beenthere
Unread 11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Problems after surgery

colase, lots of water, and walking . . . walking, walking, walking. At first maybe all you can do is walk around your bed, or up and down the hall, taking tiny little steps, but the movement of your body and gravity can do amazing things, and is much safer than sitting on the throne straining to pass an uncooperative poop.

Good luck with this. It's painful and scary, but the walking really does help, especially first thing in the morning. I hope you feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register