like gallbladder surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

like gallbladder surgery? like gallbladder surgery?

Unread 03-08-2010, 10:48 PM
like gallbladder surgery?

I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically about 10 years ago. I didn't need very much in the way of pain meds - just took Tylenols (extra dosage) for about a week. I am very allergic to most narcotic painkillers and so I don't want to risk trying anything like that. I remember I was sore at the little incision points but it wasn't all that bad. I am scheduled for a LAVH on March 29 . I was wondering if anyone else has had the laproscopic gallbladder surgery and how it compares. If it is similar then I will feel better knowing I can get by with just Advils. I have a high pain tolerance and have not had narcotic meds since 1990 in spite of two thyroid surgeries, sinus and gallbladder surgeries. Thanks for any thoughts on this - it is a worry when I get anesthesia and pain meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Re: like gallbladder surgery?

Hi Dyanne,
I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery about 5 yrs ago and LAVH on Feb24th. All in all, it's similar, but with this I was a lot more tender/sore. I don't have any memories of lots of pain meds with gallbladder, but I needed something this time.

I don't do well with narcotics either, and was given Ultracet after I had troubles last week. It takes the edge off, and it isn't considered to be a narcotic. You said you can take Advils - my doc also gave prescription ibuprofen (which I can't take either) along with the narcotics so maybe yours will too. (I do suggest taking stool softeners in case yours doesn't give you a prescription for any regardless of whether you take narcotics or not - it really helps).

Incisions are similar in size to my gallbladder ports and not very sore either.

I'm sure someone else will chime in that didn't take narcotics and give you some more input.

Guess a lot depends on your surgeon's technique, but if you've had sinus surgery, from what I've been told - you can make it through anything!

Good luck and let us know how things go
Unread 03-09-2010, 12:09 AM

Good info, thanks a bunch. We have lots of Ultracet around the house because DH has a a bad back. Good to know I can use these.

I have to be very careful - had seizures after demerol, valium and codeine. I don't want to risk it for a lot of reasons. Have been seizure free since 1990 and I don't want to go down that path again. Anytime you have one they put you through tests and meds "just in case" even if they think they know what caused it (like the wrong meds) and even if you have clean MRI and EEGs . I never tested as having epilepsy but went through a lot after each seizure including years on heavy doses of the medications, driving restrictions and bad side effects. Don't want to go back there.

Sounds like I can handle it with my usual methods - had all my kids (including twins) with no meds - I'm used to it now.

Thanks and I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2010, 03:24 AM

I had my gallbladder out about 4 years before my LAVH. With my gallbladder, I was off work for 2 weeks. With the LAVH, 10 weeks. It's not the pain so much as the weakness and fatigue that kept me home so long. I lost some blood during my LAVH and it took a long time to get my iron back up. Also, there were a lot more internal stiches to heal with the LAVH.

The medication requirements were about the same.

Good luck.
Unread 03-09-2010, 07:37 AM

I had my gallbladder (lap) out 9 years ago, and I was back to work the next week. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to bounce back that quickly - not trying to be pessimistic here, just realistic. I'm *hoping* the pain levels will be about the same.
Unread 03-09-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse to patien View Post
I had my gallbladder out about 4 years before my LAVH. With my gallbladder, I was off work for 2 weeks. With the LAVH, 10 weeks. It's not the pain so much as the weakness and fatigue that kept me home so long. I lost some blood during my LAVH and it took a long time to get my iron back up. Also, there were a lot more internal stiches to heal with the LAVH.

The medication requirements were about the same.

Good luck.
I am prepared for more fatigue and weakness - this is more stuff being taken out. I am so glad to hear that the medication requirement is about the same - gives me some peace of mind. Thanks so much for sharing info!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register