ideas on how to get comfortable in bed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ideas on how to get comfortable in bed ideas on how to get comfortable in bed

Unread 01-17-2014, 05:32 AM
ideas on how to get comfortable in bed

I have yet to sleep in my bed or on the couch for that matter. I have taken up residence in my recliner. I can't figure out how to get comfortable lying down. It seems to stretch my stomach, doesn't hurt but feels uncomfortable. I also feel like I get "stuck" because I can't get up very easy. Maybe I am afraid that I will pull something or I just can't figure it out. I also have 15 steps to climb to get upstairs which I haven't done yet. Soon though maybe tomorrow night I will try. It will be 10 days post op then. I am babying myself because I don't want anything to happen since I am feeling so good. I'm missing my hubby next to me too. Sleeping pretty good so maybe I shouldn't mess with things. IDK. Any ideas that might help me get comfortable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2014, 05:59 AM
Re: ideas on how to get comfortable in bed

Sleep where you are comfortable. My recliner was my best friend for 5 weeks, maybe a little longer. I was waking every 2-3 hours and needed to get up and walk a bit. I didn't want to wake hubby up since he was doing everything. When I did return to bed, I propped up several pillows to be in the position I was in on the recliner. Eventually I became comfortable. I did not start sleeping on my stomach until about 3 months ago.
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:04 AM

Try pillows under your knees while in bed. Also, instead of trying to sit up when getting out of bed, try slightly rolling on your side and pushing your self up with your arms. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2014, 06:06 AM

[quote=Jmw42;4280891]Try pillows under your knees while in bed. Also, instead of trying to sit up when getting out of bed, try slightly rolling on your side and pushing your self up with your arms. Good luck![/QUOTE

three weeks tomorrow, I was having bad back problems last night. I could not get comfortable, I did prop pillows as well.
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:21 AM

Pillows....lots and lots of pillows. Same as Petrified, I propped myself up with lots of pillows so that getting up and out of bed was not too much of an effort. I slept on my back for a few weeks before i could manage side sleeping and then i again used pillows between my knees and under my side by my tummy. I could finally sleep on my tummy around the 3 month mark which was total bliss.
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:44 AM

I put a chair next to my bed,and grabbed that to help me pull myself into a sitting position.

Chris
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammax3 View Post
I put a chair next to my bed,and grabbed that to help me pull myself into a sitting position.

Chris
I used the handlebars of my exercise machine. I couldn't use the machine for anything else for the next six weeks, so I figured I could at least get some use out of the handlebars.

Also, what Coumarin says: pillows, pillows and more pillows.
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Pillows helped a lot. Even between your legs when u lying on your side. I started laying on my tummy after 3 weeks.
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:16 AM

Pillows all around, plus between/under legs, plus a little pillow clutched at my belly. I need it the most. Try some stairs, I have about 12 and it was no problem from day one. I learned that after my oopherectomy in August so wasn't afraid to try for the hysterectomy. I especially enjoy the added heat and weight of a cat on my little pillow when I'm lying around. The pillow protects me from unintended injury. The cat feels good and calms me down.
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM

I agree with all of the above replies. Pillow under the knees and a chair by the bedside to help you get out of bed. I also have a wedge so I sleep slightly elevated. Tried to sleep flat the other night just to see how if felt. Bad idea! It felt like all my organs were sliding up to my sternum!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register