Four weeks post hysterectomy: feeling unsure what was done | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Four weeks post hysterectomy: feeling unsure what was done Four weeks post hysterectomy: feeling unsure what was done

Unread 12-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Four weeks post hysterectomy: feeling unsure what was done

Hello Hyster-sisters

I had an abdominal myomectamy that turned into a partial hysterectomy almost four weeks ago (11/18). The first few days were very tough but after day 2 I could walk around and take care of my basic necessities (brush my teeth, shower, and get dressed). At day 3 I went home and even did a bit of cooking, (just wanted chicken soup because after 2 days on a liquid diet and strong pain medications, my body needed it). Had my staples removed 6 days after surgery. After a week I did some light cleaning, my home was a mess and nothing could keep me from it..clutter makes me feel worthless. My husband cooked the rest of the time after a long day at work and my boys did the laundry. Each day I felt stronger and each week I gained back my strength and independence. I feel almost my self again. However, I had a set back on week 3 when the pain on the right side of my flank and pelvis made me cry in agony. I called my doctor and he prescribed pain medication. I felt much better.
My biggest concern is that my doctor has not disclosed some of the details of my procedure and I have a false idea of what was done. For example, he told me that the right side of the uterus was removed and that the left remained intact along with Fallopian tubes and ovaries. But after looking at the pathology report I see that the Fallopian tubes, uterus and cervix were removed. After reading this I felt really sad because I didn't feel like myself due to the evidence of infertility. I'm 37 and have two children already but the thought of never having the choice to prepare for this procedure and the lack of disclosure make me feel overpowered with emotions.
I plan to schedule a consultation with him and find out why he never fully explained. I wonder if he felt I would not be able to bear the news at the time or did he disclose it a very "no-chalant" sort of way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2015, 11:27 PM
Re: Four weeks post hysterectomy: feeling unsure what was done

I'm very sorry you feel the details of your surgery were not explained to you properly. I think making an appointment to discuss this with your surgeon is an excellent idea. Take the pathology report with you and also a list of all your questions. It can help to take a friend or family member with you as well, that way if you can't remember his answers, you have someone to clarify with.

I believe it is impossible to remove only one side of the uterus. There are major blood vessels in the uterus and there would be uncontrolled bleeding. It is possible to remove the uterus but leave the cervix (which is the "neck" of the uterus) - perhaps this is what the doctor meant? Were you under the impression that you would still be able to have children after your surgery? If so, your emotions are very understandable and this is something you should also discuss with your surgeon. It is becoming standard procedure to remove fallopian tubes along with the uterus, as current research indicates that ovarian cancer may start in the tubes. I also had my tubes removed, although my doctor didn't discuss this with me beforehand.

I hope you receive the answers you're looking for. I am sorry for the confusion and emotions you must be feeling. Please do let us know what your doctor says. I am sending you big hugs.

Unread 12-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Re: Four weeks post hysterectomy: feeling unsure what was done

Thanks so much! My surgeon is highly qualified,but not much of a talker, so he explains everything briefly and then "hands to work" but I just hoped for more clarity. Perhaps for a patient like me, who researchers EVERYTHING, this is a good thing..lol. Before surgery I do remember signing a form that would allow him to perform a hysterectomy should the procedure take a different course. After surgery I was given 3 blood transfusions as I lost a lot of blood during the procedure. So a hysteroscopy turned into an open myomectamy with a supra cervical hysterectomy. The fact that he said "no more babies" never really bothered me, but fact that my entire uterus was removed with cervix along Fallopian tubes made me feel "empty" (if that makes sense).
Will provide updates as they come...Thank you for the support!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register