2nd opinion, now I'm mixed up. daVinci hysterectomy vs TVH? Lupron? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2nd opinion, now I'm mixed up. daVinci hysterectomy vs TVH? Lupron? 2nd opinion, now I'm mixed up. daVinci hysterectomy vs TVH? Lupron?

Unread 05-17-2016, 10:32 PM
2nd opinion, now I'm mixed up. daVinci hysterectomy vs TVH? Lupron?

I got my 2nd opinion today, and it's got me all flustered. I was all prepared for a vaginal hyst, with my OB/GYN, who has seen me through both pregnancies, both c-sections, tied my tubes, and an ablation. I have 2 large fibroids, causing me all sorts of trouble with my bowels and bladder, as well as back pain and abdominal pain.

The 2nd doctor is experienced in DaVinci surgery, and recommends it in cases like mine (large fibroids, c-section history), and recommends 2 months of Lupron injections to shrink the fibroids and decrease the size of my uterus before surgery. He claims there is less risk of vaginal prolapse, and improved ability to keep the bladder safe (possible adhesions to c-section scarring) and to suspend the bladder with my own ligaments (no mesh).

I just don't know what to do. Has anyone done Lupron? Pros/cons of DaVinci vs vaginal hyst? How do they get everything out with a DaVinci?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2016, 04:17 AM

Good morning, kady_elle, to Hystersisters!
I have experience with Lupron. I also had fibroids, and was prescribed two shots to shrink them so I could have a laparoscopic procedure. It works by blocking estrogen production, so you may experience menopause-like symptoms, such as hot flashes, mood changes, and sleep disturbances. For me, those symptoms were relatively mild, and they were well worth it: it shrank my uterus from 22-week size to 16-week size, which made my surgery and recovery much easier. As for daVinci versus vaginal, I don't have experience with either; perhaps our other sisters can weigh in on that. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 05-18-2016, 06:24 AM

Thank you for your reply, Tiger_Eye! I appreciate hearing about your experience with Lupron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Re: 2nd opinion, now I'm mixed up. daVinci hysterectomy vs TVH? Lupron?

I had the Da Vinci Hysterectomy. They remove your uterus vaginally. I would highly recommend it. Four small incisions in the abdomen and that is it! I am five weeks out and feel great! I also had numerous fibroids that needed to be removed.
Unread 05-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Re: 2nd opinion, now I'm mixed up. daVinci hysterectomy vs TVH? Lupron?

I have also been on Lupron. Mine is for endo and while it has curbed the issues I was having, I did have a fair amount of side effects. I have gotten two three month injections. The first round: instant headache and nausea for a couple weeks hot flashes at about three weeks that grew more intense. Second time around, light headache, moody and emotional, serious food cravings, bloat, at two weeks after the shot, I developed massive hives for the first time in my life. (Gyno denies it is related....)I am at about the end of the second cycle and starting to have some of the symptoms I started with. Hoping it gets better after hysterectomy.
I really think it is a mixed bag of how it works for people and what side effects they endure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register