Cervical displasia and surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical displasia and surgery Cervical displasia and surgery

Unread 02-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Cervical displasia and surgery

I had cervical displasia about 10 years ago, and had the LEEP procedure done, which cuts out affected areas of the crevix. The cervix scarred over a bit but my paps came back normal, until recently. A second test came back normal, but the doctor says that because of the scarring it is hard for him to get a good sample, and that even when samples come back clean, there is a 10% chance that it just missed the bad cells. He thinksI should have another LEEP procedure. If that scars and makes it impossible to get any kind of pap smear tests that are even vaguely accurate, he suggests a total hysterectomy.

After reading your posts, I think I will just keep having frequent pap smears and try to keep my immune system healthy. Has anyone else gone the watch and wait route?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2005, 08:36 PM

Hi, figuringitout!

I dont' know anything about cervical displasia and LEEPs, but have you thought about going for a second opinion with a gyn/oncologist? If your doc is having a hard time being confident that he's getting a good sample, perhaps seeing a gyn/onco would be a good idea for you.

Also, I encourage you to post your questions and concerns in the CANCER CARE forum of Hystersisters.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for....php?forumid=6

I'm sure someone there with more experience in this area would be happy to answer your questions!

All the best,
K9
Unread 02-15-2005, 07:47 PM

I had my first abnormal PAP at age 23 (carcinoma-in-situ). I had a cone biopsy followed by normal PAP's for 10 years. Then I started again with more abnormal PAP's (moderate dysplasia) which were treated with cryo. In 2000, I had an abnormal PAP that showed atypical glandular cells. A biopsy came back negative. After consulting with a gyn/onc, it was decided that due to scar tissue and the irregular readings (some positive, some negative) that we should do a LEEP to be sure there was nothing there. The pathology from the LEEP showed severe dysplasia (squamous cell, though, not glandular cell). At that point, my gyn informed me that he hadn't realized how bad the scarring was and that as he was doing the LEEP, the sample was falling apart--there was really no good tissue in there to get an accurate reading of. So I'm glad I had it done. That ultimately led to my TAH.

Now, that's my story, and yours may be nothing like it. But I would suggest that you get a second opinion--preferably from a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and precancers, and they have extensive training in appropriate treatments for these kinds of issues.

If, however, you are feeling comfortable with your current situation, then absolutely make sure you are receiving regular/frequent PAP's, and stay in close contact with your gyn.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for your input

I really appreciate the feedback, although it makes me a bit scared to do what I am doing. I will get regular paps and coloscopys, and I have started to use a product that I think I found advertised on this site, which claims to not only control the virus but in many cases, eliminate it. There were lots of testimonials and a money back guarantee, so I'll take the pills for 3 months, and then request another pap and a test for the HPV virus. If it is actually gone, I will definitely get back to this site and let everyone know. Knowing that I have the high risk virus makes me very anxious to get rid of it, especially so that I don't inadvertantely pass it along to anyone else.

Take good care everyone.
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
cervical dysplasia

I relate to your situation, and your concerns. I have been dealing with about the same with the diagnosis if HPV and dysplasia in 2001. I had my first colposcopy that August, and since have had 2 LEEP's and 1 Cone biopsy. During this time I have had a yo-yo of paps. One or two negative, then one positive, another neg., then another postive...It has been a trying time, as with each I have to go through the wait, and the anticipation of the results. ThenI get all excited about a Neg. and am only dissapointed 6 months later with a pos. Finally, after all of these years, and at the age of 46, in good health otherwise, I deicided with the help of myDr. (she is a gyn/oncologist), to have the TVH. I am 6 days post op, and today when I got my lab results back with a total green light for NO CANCER...I just lost it. The releif is more then I can explain. I feel like a dark cloud has been lifted off me, and I can get on with my life.
I wish you the best in your decision, and encourage you to try everything you need to to gain the releif you deserve. What ever the outcome years or more from now, you will know you did all you could before the route of a hysterectomy. If the time comes, this will be important to you, I know I needed to wiat untill I was ready, and I am glad I did. (my reg. gyn. was ready to do it 5 years ago, I am thankful for the experience of my gyn/onc. Dr. in the end)
Good Luck with the alternatives....
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:51 AM

Thank you. I have an article from the Cleveland Clinic Journal of medicine, which concludes that the combination of a negative Pap smear and a negative HPV test indicted absence of CIN3 or cancer to a certainty of almost 100%. So, I am going to take these pills for 4 months, and then schedule a pap and HPV test. If they both come back negative, I'll be reassured. In the meantime, I'm hoping I'm not culturing a cancer in there!

I'm glad your surgery went well. Now you don't have to worry about ovarian or uterine cancer either! How nice.
Take good care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register