why keep ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

why keep ovaries? why keep ovaries?

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:51 AM
why keep ovaries?

I'm 43. I've been having irregular periods since 40. Are my ovaries still working--well enough to keep him? Is it worth it to keep them until hormone therapy is absolutely needed?

If you have ovaries---how will you know when you need HRT? I have no signs of menopause except periods only a few times/year. No hot flashes, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Re: why keep ovaries?

I was just reading an article out of Good Housekeeping. About heart health. There is a section for hysterectomies!! I was amazed. It says that if you have your ovaries removed at age under 50 a woman would have a 98% higher risk of heart disease. It goes on to mention a lot of women worry about ovarian cancer, but it says there is less then 1% lifetime risk of getting that cancer. unless you have a relative who had ovarian cancer, then you may want to think about having them removed. Hope that helps you in your choice.

Personally, I am 35 and will be leaving my ovaries.
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM

I had to have my right ovary removed, because the dermoid cyst basically destroyed it, but I kept my left ovary...

I didn't want to go on hormones, or deal with menopause at 43. My LSH was 12/22/09 & my left ovary seems to be working just fine... no menopause signs at all, and about 1/2way through what would have been my "normal cycle" my discharge got thick & stretchy indicating ovulation... I don't have to deal with a history of ovarian cancer, & after lots of research I just saw so many benefits to keeping my ovary...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2010, 12:24 AM

Hi Hyst4mee,

The ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair to name a few. And newer studies are showing that by keeping the ovaries after a hyst...it does help with heart health. And studies are also showing that the ovaries secrete their important hormones well into menopause. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that 5% or less of women get ovarian cancer. That was good odds for me. I did not want to remove my healthy ovaries to prevent something that might never happen.

In the end...just do what is *best* for you.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 01-30-2010, 07:24 AM

I am 58 and post menopausal. My dr. told me she wants to leave my ovaries because they still secrete some helpful hormones. I am lucky and never needed to take any hormone therapy.

When I first started with hot flashes years ago I bought some menopause packets from GNC which included some natural herbs like black cohosh, red clover, and soy along with vitamins and calcium.

My opinion is if your ovaries are healthy, it's more beneficial to keep them.
Unread 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM

hyst4me -

Here's an article from our pre-op section you may find helpful Keeping Ovaries?

Personally if I could have kept my ovaries I would have, but with a cancer dx my gyn-onc wouldn't allow me to do it. Although even now that is changing especially for younger women depending on type of cancer.

As some have pointed out the ovaries produce hormones after menopause just not as much. Also sometimes it can be difficult to find the right HRT balance.

Research as much as possible, talk to your Dr. and be comfortable with your decision.

G
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I did read something that even if needed HRT, its never as good as "natural". So I hope to keep mine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register