Scared sick | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Scared sick

my surgery is 8 days away and I am nervous. My doctor sent me to my anesthesiaologist and the reason they told me i had to see them is to find out if i will wake up or not. That is not something I wanted to hear. I have been very emotional every time someone starts to ask me "are you ready for the surgery?" The best question I have gotten is "are you scared?" I want to say deathly affraid but i just say a little. i wish!!!!!!!! How will I feel after the surgery? Is the pain bad? Is having your cervix removed make a big difference? Those are just some of the Questions a doctor can't tell from experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Scared sick

First, take a deep breath and try to relax! I know how scared you feel, I was absolutely TERRIFIED to have surgery-- I have a heart murmur & defect so I was soooo scared to go under anesthesia too, that was my main fear! But I made it, without any problems and you will too!!! I know there aren't any "magic" words I can say to comfort you, but just remember, one day you will be the one writing words of comfort to someone else!!!! I really thought when I left my workplace the last day that I wouldn't be coming back! And I wanted to see all my friends because I feared I'd never see them again! So I know how you feel! You will be alright! Sometimes you just have to have faith & "let go".
As for the pain, yes, you most likely will hurt afterwards, but I was just so thankful that I made it, I didn't care about anything else! Don't hesitate to ask for and to use pain medication!! There will be times in your healing process that you'l wonder if you'll ever be back to normal, but trust me, you will!!!
It's been almost 8 months since my surgery and although I still get tired a lot, my life is so much better!!! I'm back to work, back to my fun activites and I no longer have to plan my life around my awful period!!! You will feel better once it's over!!! I know it's hard to imagine now, but have faith!!! take care, zanylynn
Unread 11-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Scared sick

Well, my cervix is gone, and I don't miss it! I spoke about my surgery to just a few people beforehand because I didn't want to get trapped by a lot of dumb questions. That worked for me. I was very focused on the outcome, on how much better it would make me feel, not focused so much on things that "might" go wrong. Don't hesitate to ask the anesthesiologist for more information if there is anything you're worried about it. My pain after surgery was not very bad, but a few posters here have had some difficulty that way. The key is to communicate your needs every step of the way to get the care you need. Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Scared sick

hi Tand T....
My surgery is the day before and I am not too bad now but know will be that day. I was a basket case about 2-3 wks ago. I am getting it all out and other than the surg. and recuperation pain, infection etc. ( have had surg before and none have healed well for me) i am worried about going into sudden meonopause or something similar from ovary removal. Yea I am nervous about the surg and sort of not waking up but not a lot. I hate needles and that is more a fear for me. and two here have mentioned a needle in your belly and that is freaking me out but will see I guess. My preop is monday am.
hope you are able to calm down and focus on the more positive aspect I am sure that will help your healing too. take care and I will be thinking of you.
Unread 11-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Scared sick

My surgery date is the same date, Dec. 2. I have been too busy to worry and deal with it, but tonight my family is out of town and my kids went to their dad's for thanksgiving and I think being alone and having quiet time is causing it to finally hit me. I have been on an emotional roller coaster tonight and feeling lonely. I am starting to worry about whether I made the right decision....what if i have complications....what about work....what about kids....am i going to be a burden on my mother having to help me for a few weeks...i could go on and on.
Unread 11-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Scared sick

wow i feel the exact same way my surgery is on the 2nd of dec too at 10:00 and i am so scared i know my dh and girls will help my house is in order you would think martha stewert lived here but for some reason i cant help but to feel scared i have been opperated on before but nothing really like this before gall bladder surg a lapsocopy to get the sists out but this is pritty major i dont feel like backing out but omg i am so scared right now i am crying
Unread 11-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Scared sick

Your not alone in feeling scared. I have been very worried myself. I secretly want to run away. LOL I won't though.
I have days I am feeling good and those days when I get myself all worked up. I have read through threads on here and found some great suggestions from the wonderful ladies here on how to keep busy to help keep your mind off surgery. I also started listening to relaxation tapes to help relax me. I saw that suggested on this site. Great idea, it has helped me! This site has been great.
I know I can come here and ramble, vent, even a tear or two and feel not so alone and scared.
Your not alone in feeling scared.
I personally am looking forward to being on the other side of surgery. The waiting is very hard. I will be glad to not be in pain. I'm real tired of heavy periods that just show up whenever Tired of being tired too .... I just bought another giant size bag of pads. I won't miss wearing those big ol thangs LOL

All the best to you.
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Scared sick

Hey T and T,
I am scared out of my wits to have this done, but I know it is the best decision for me. If that's not enough I feel like God is knocking on my wood block of a head to help me make my decisions. A lady at work was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer, many of the same symptoms I'm having. Found a death certificate of a great grandmother verifying ovarian cancer as cause of death. Found out Mother had many of the same problems I am having at a younger age(she is deceased now, found out info from Father) and uterine cancer. So many other cancer connections in my family, I feel at peace that I'm having the ovaries removed as well as the hyst. Alot of turmoil went in to this decision, as I'm sure you now. Being scared is totally normal, even when you feel good about the decision. Lots of luck and Hugs.
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Scared sick

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I was also terrified before I had my surgery. But what you hear is true that the waiting is the hardest part.
The day before my surgery I was an emotional basketcase. I cried off and on most of the day. The liquid diet wasn't bad because I don't think I could have eaten a bite anyway.
The next morning when I got to the hospital I wanted to turn around and run.

As for the pain, I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I didn't have any pain at all when I woke up.
In addition to the general anesthesia; my doctor also did a nerve block in the incision site. Maybe that was what helped with the pain.....I'm not real sure.
I just had more soreness than anything.

I also had my cervix removed and I can't tell a bit of difference and neither can DH.

Like someone else mentioned.....you will go through a time when you feel like you'll never be normal again, but it does get better. But even with no complications the recovery still seems like a long process when you're going through it.

I am 5 months post-op and I feel great. I can't even hardly tell I had this surgery.

Good luck to you and I wish you the best.
Unread 11-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Scared sick

Oh my goodness! There are so many of us having our surgery around the same time and feeling exactly the same about it!! Thanks for making me feel normal!!! I have been a bit in denial as I kept not thinking about it as I had a trip to New Zealand (that I won!) to look forward to, However I knew it was only 2 weeks after my trip to my surgery and now it is only 1 week and I am beginning to freak about it!!
My mum and dad were going to come and stay afterwards but my mum is now having a gynae op too so won't be able to come when she thought. DH is around but I don't want him taking loads of time off work as he isn't going to have a job after Dec 16th!! Have 2 kids but too young to help practically just hoping that a lap hyst (and ant repair) will make my recovery easier!!

Good luck everyone!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register