Not Scheduled Hyster and Obesity? Anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyster and Obesity? Anyone? Hyster and Obesity? Anyone?

Unread 02-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Hyster and Obesity? Anyone?

Hi - I am still awaiting my date. I am to call tomorrow.

One thing that I am concerned about is the fact I am overweight. I have a "belly", and I am obese (5'5" and 175-200). I am also bloated - which doesn't help.

Has anyone else here been through the surgery and been overweight at the time? Do you have any particular suggestions for me or thoughts as I go through the scheduling?

I have previously had a C-section, so I have been cut there previously (thin scar bikini line). From the way she spoke, it sounded like she was thinking TAH (she will be taking ovaries too).

in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Re: Hyster and Obesity? Anyone?

You will be fine. I am 5-6 and between the weights you posted at the top end. I had my surgery and it went fine. I lost weight during the process but gained it back from hormones and that my appetite came back over the holidays. Working on losing it again. I had a TAH. It was fine. The worst part was waiting for surgery, after that it was a breeze.
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Don't worry about a thing, I am a very obese gal 130kgs at time of op I think thats about 260 pounds??? I had an appointment with the anethitist first to clear me for surgery and they said 'look the risks are slightly higher for those who are bigger but still very slim (ha ha) for anything to go wrong.

I was told that I was going to have a TAH but the surgeon was a wonderful woman and she tried a LAVH first and even though it took her an extra hour in surgery I now only have 4 small port sites.

My advice - don't stress it, don't try and diet esp if you are in pain etc now as you need to be as healthy as possible before the op. Biggest thing is to go in there with a positive attitude.

I surprised the doctors by being up and about day 1 and kept walking till I begged to go home early. Being overweight is unhealthy but reality is we are who we are and you can be overweight and healthy.

I have so many things wrong with me - obesity, diabetes, sleep apneoa and asthma and I was fine, they plan for all these things so that you will get through it all fine.

Be strong and think of this - if you do bowel prep you will likely lose a few pounds of water - I have lost 7kgs since surgery and doing well.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM

I am 5'2" and weigh about 210 and my surgery is a go. I am considered to be pre-diabetic, but nothing else besides RLS. I keep wondering if my tummy will go down some cause of getting rid of my uterus. I have read others who are overweight and they said they did fine in surgery. I was about the same weight when I had a surgery for a broken jaw and I did fine during that. (Was alseep) (((hugs)))
Unread 02-08-2010, 10:58 AM

I am also obese, and had a TAH 1/29. All went really well - no problems related to my weight. The only problem I've had is a little chafing below the incision, because the incision sits on the bottom of a belly roll, and I have a hard time keeping that area dry. Someone suggested using a maxi pad to keep the areas from rubbing together, and to keep it dry - and it's worked like a charm! The incision is healing well.

Don't worry about your weight - the drs and nurses are perfectly prepared to deal with any issues. Just concentrate on getting everything ready to make yourself as comfortable as possible so you can heal. It's only been 10 days - but I feel SO much better than I did before the surgery. I'm still a little swollen - but now I look 3 months pregnant instead of 8 months!! You'll be fine - just think how much better you'll feel after you take care of the problems you are having now.
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM

You will be fine. My doctor actually said for TAH and SAH it's better for your incision to heal if you have a belly, because all the extra skin and fat keeps the incision from pulling open. He said with a belly like mine (i am about 190lbs and 5'4") you would literally have to stick hooks along the incision line and yank it really far upward to cause any damage. My only problem is that it is difficult to keep the moisture away. After a shower I dry myself off, then I tuck a dry washcloth along my incision and lay down until it is dry.
Unread 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm about your height and weight too, so thanks to the post-op ladies for the pre-op advice.
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:13 AM

Dear Pemberly,

I am obese. I am 5'4" and weigh about 198 pounds. I had my TAH on 28/1. I am fine...you will be fine too. Don't worry ya...It's going to be ok.

Just follow your doctor's advice and have a lot of rest after the surgery. This is definitely not the time to diet or do any heavy exercise.

During bed rest, just remember to move your legs...easy movements to prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT). My doctor said overweight / obese patients have higher risk of this problem. She gave me 'special socks' like the one wore by long-flight passengers for the week I was in hospital.

After the first couple of days, if you are ready, some walking around would be good too. My doctor said it would help in the healing instead of just lying in bed. There would be pain and discomfort especially trying to get out or into the bed. So, don't overdo it...just listen to your body as everyone's recovery rate is different.

Eat well during your recovery. Eat fruits and vege too to prevent constipation. Drink plenty of water and juices.

Just like the other ladies, my only problem is keeping the incision area dry. It is right below my belly roll. But after each shower, I will dry the area with clean cloth - but do not rub! Just 'dap' on it. If there's any sweat, also dry it...to avoid infection.

You will be fine...I wish you all the best.

Dear Regency - Wishing you all the best too!

See both of you at Post-Op soon!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register