Still in Pain, 1 week recovered | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still in Pain, 1 week recovered Still in Pain, 1 week recovered

Unread 08-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Still in Pain, 1 week recovered

Hello ladies,
I am new to this. My surgery was 8/15. I had a radical hysterectomy, everything gone!! The surgery went well. I just stopped the percocet on Friday, exactly l week anniversary. It was working fine but the constipation is horrendous. I am presently taking Tylenol w/cod and motrin 600 mg together. That seems to help the pain but the bowel problem is still there. The constant bloating is my biggest complaint. I guess it is the gas, the swelling and having to go to the bathroom. I did finally go!! A little relief, thank you! Does anyone have the pains that feel like your entire abdomen is in spasm? What is that? I also don't know what is "too much" as far as activity. I am basically on the couch, short walks around the yard and going upstairs at night and down in the morning. Is that okay? Helped out a little at dinner last night and that really did me in!!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlcon569
Hello ladies,
I am new to this. My surgery was 8/15. I had a radical hysterectomy, everything gone!! The surgery went well. I just stopped the percocet on Friday, exactly l week anniversary. It was working fine but the constipation is horrendous. I am presently taking Tylenol w/cod and motrin 600 mg together. That seems to help the pain but the bowel problem is still there. The constant bloating is my biggest complaint. I guess it is the gas, the swelling and having to go to the bathroom. I did finally go!! A little relief, thank you! Does anyone have the pains that feel like your entire abdomen is in spasm? What is that? I also don't know what is "too much" as far as activity. I am basically on the couch, short walks around the yard and going upstairs at night and down in the morning. Is that okay? Helped out a little at dinner last night and that really did me in!!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Did you have Abdominal or Laproscopic?
Unread 08-24-2008, 12:45 PM

I too had the full hysterectomy deal and I have a 9 inch vertical incision to prove it! I'm about 3 weeks out and still have pain. Nothing I can't handle, but it sure let's me know when I over-do! And Yes---I had those "spasm" pains!! Big Ouch!! My nurse at the hospital thought that it was all those nerves waking up! They lasted about 3 days and I found a heating pad helped the most. As to the bloating, it took me about 2 weeks for the swelling and bloating to leave. For me, dried prunes did the trick. I eat about 6 a day and that seems to keep things moving without the gas build up. As to activity, I think you have it about right. I stay on the sofa most of the day with the occasional walk or short outing. Whatever I do---when I get tired or start to feel more pain---I'm back to the sofa! Hope that helps---always helps to know how others are doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Still in pain, 1 week recovered

My surgery was done abdominally. I have about an 8 inch incision.
Unread 08-24-2008, 02:29 PM

I'm having the spasms too. I still have my ovaries but..the hot flashes suck. I would suggest Dulcalx stool softeners. I know you said you have already gone to the bathroom, but taking the stool softeners makes it easier, and it makes it easier so you don't have to push so hard. Good luck!
Unread 08-24-2008, 03:49 PM

Stool softeners are wonderful. They kept my ovaries too, and I am having the hot flashes too. I am driving my family crazy. Hot one minute cold the next and cry cry cry. I feel as though I am pregnant again.
Unread 08-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Rest , rest , and then rest some more. You may feel like you can do more but may end up paying for it later. As for the constipation , gas pain ,and bloating......the best advice I have ever gotten on that came from someone on this site ( sorry cant remeber who) Double dose of liquid milk of magnesia followed by a big glass of hot water ! Try it ....it works !
Unread 08-24-2008, 04:36 PM

yes, milk of mag to get it going, along with stool softeners! Once things moving along, stop the milk of mag and keep on the stool softeners! I'm going better than ever
Unread 08-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Thanks! I am in agony tonight. The constipation is winning! I have taken stool softeners 2x a day since surgery and have used Ducolax suppositories (the pain). I am drinking prune juice and eatting prunes! Look out!! Nothing is happening. I am definitely going to try the milk of magnesia and drink warm water after. This is sooooo painful. I can't even feel my incision. Better days are coming.
Unread 08-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Yes darling, better days will come. This is why they say you need 6 weeks to recover. Your post brought back all my memories of my first 2 weeks.

Senokot, 2 tablets twice a day worked for me for the constipation. It did take a couple of days to kick in, but then things went on fine.

What about gas pains? Could this be what the spasams are? Gas X sure was my friend.

Walk as often as you can. Remember, what you do today you will feel tomorrow!

Take Care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register